Sign in to follow this  

Summer riding - KM,LPNF,Piutes?

Planning a Summer mountain ride, NorCal is too far. Checking the weather, seems like the following for this weekend:

LPNF - 75-85

KM - 80-85

Piutes - 85-95 (Kernville, 5000 ft)

I haven't seen any posts on the Piutes recently, I guess they are too hot? Seems they are a bit closer than KM, but not as well known, maps are marginal.

Comments?

I've been doing lots of riding this summer. LPNF, Hungry Valley, Silverwood/Arrowhead, Baldy Mesa, Temescal Canyon, Azusa Canyon.

You have the temperature ranges wrong. I give you elevation ranges instead.

• LPNF 5000 to 8000 feet. Most riding is 5500 to 6500

• Piutes 2500-8500 feet. Most riding at the top is above 7000

• KM 7500-10000 feet. OK not 10000, the top of Sherman peak is 9990. Most of the riding is at 7500-9000 feet.

Summer thunderstorms are most likely at KM so be ready for rain. A bit less likely at the Piutes, and somewhat rarer at LPNF.

I'm in the LA area and KM is a weekend outing. It's too far for a day ride. The Piutes are not bad if you have the fuel range to ride from Jawbone or Dove Springs. It takes a long time to drive to the top of the Piutes, so its a weekend outing for that. LPNF is an easy day ride from most of the LA area.

There are also some high altitude trails in the Holcomb valley (Big Bear) area.

KM is red sticker all year.

• Like 1

Cleonard,

Thanks for the info. In my post I gave the temp estimates from aviation weather info I found on the net, but of course they don't reflect what the temp would be at the locations where you actually ride.

Thanks for the reminder about thunderstorms - they are a feature of the Sierra this time of year a every backpacker has found out about!

It can get pretty hot even at altitude in the late Summer, although last weekend was mild and really nice. At least in the mountains there is shade, unlike the desert where you can find no relief if the heat gets unbearable.

I come in to the Piutes from the West, up 178 through Isabella to Kelso Valley road. 178 is pretty long and windy, but the road is paved nearly all the way to Piute Mtn Rd. making it easier than coming in from Jawbone.

I still need to learn my way around up there.

Thanks

Planning a Summer mountain ride, NorCal is too far. Checking the weather, seems like the following for this weekend:

LPNF - 75-85

KM - 80-85

Piutes - 85-95 (Kernville, 5000 ft)

I haven't seen any posts on the Piutes recently, I guess they are too hot? Seems they are a bit closer than KM, but not as well known, maps are marginal.

Comments?

"The Piute Mountains are very deceiving to even the most skilled trail riders." We have been riding the trails up there for the past 3 months and every time we go 90% of the guys are lost and heading to get back to camp going the wrong direction..very easy to loose your way up there and if you do it takes some time to get to another trail, and then where do you go? The last two rides up there each weekend we ran into a 2 guys with gas leaks in their IMS tanks...not good! Last Memorial weekend a group of 9 guys...all good riders were lost and heading the wrong way looking for camp...I handed them a map and helped them out...one of them said to the "lost leader" "thanks Magellan" that was to funny! And thaere were many others lost also. WHATEVER YOU DO!!! DO NOT USE THE FRIENDS OF JAWBONE MAP!!!!!! I REPEAT!!!! NEVER!!! IT WILL HAVE YOU ALL TURNED AROUND!!! BURN IT IF YOU GET LOST TO START A FIRE...! Do prepare to carry as much water as you can, and food, and tools, and most of all invest in a G.P.S. and leave a trail from your start point. The Piutes have some of the best trail riding I have found in So-Cal, so please be very sensitive also to the signs up there for the residents that have weekend cabins in the old mining town of Claraville (corner of Jawbone & Piute mtn road areas). They have saved more stranded and lost riders so please by kind and wave to them, not race down the road...we all know your fast, they don't care. There are so many trails up there and there is a map to download...I will follow up with the link so stand by. So if your riding in the Piutes and you think your lost...you probably are. KTMscout out.

"The Piute Mountains are very deceiving to even the most skilled trail riders." We have been riding the trails up there for the past 3 months and every time we go 90% of the guys are lost and heading to get back to camp going the wrong direction..very easy to loose your way up there and if you do it takes some time to get to another trail, and then where do you go? The last two rides up there each weekend we ran into a 2 guys with gas leaks in their IMS tanks...not good! Last Memorial weekend a group of 9 guys...all good riders were lost and heading the wrong way looking for camp...I handed them a map and helped them out...one of them said to the "lost leader" "thanks Magellan" that was to funny! And thaere were many others lost also. WHATEVER YOU DO!!! DO NOT USE THE FRIENDS OF JAWBONE MAP!!!!!! I REPEAT!!!! NEVER!!! IT WILL HAVE YOU ALL TURNED AROUND!!! BURN IT IF YOU GET LOST TO START A FIRE...! Do prepare to carry as much water as you can, and food, and tools, and most of all invest in a G.P.S. and leave a trail from your start point. The Piutes have some of the best trail riding I have found in So-Cal, so please be very sensitive also to the signs up there for the residents that have weekend cabins in the old mining town of Claraville (corner of Jawbone & Piute mtn road areas). They have saved more stranded and lost riders so please by kind and wave to them, not race down the road...we all know your fast, they don't care. There are so many trails up there and there is a map to download...I will follow up with the link so stand by. So if your riding in the Piutes and you think your lost...you probably are. KTMscout out.

AMEN to the Friends of Jawbone map! :thumbsup::) It's not even good enough for burning IMO. Getting hopelessly lost and fearing for your life is a rite of passage in the Piutes. Also, one other warning. Watch out for BEARS! :ride:

another good place to enter the piutes is from the Bodfish side, down Erskin creek road right next to the Vons shopping center. I have only entered from there once and it was some pretty fun singletrack. Its a good side to enter on especialy if you are not duel sported.

If i am off of work i will go to any of these places, reguardless of the heat.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431860&highlight=piutes

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431864&highlight=piutes

You have the temperature ranges wrong. I give you elevation ranges instead.

• LPNF 5000 to 8000 feet. Most riding is 5500 to 6500

• Piutes 2500-8500 feet. Most riding at the top is above 7000

• KM 7500-10000 feet. OK not 10000, the top of Sherman peak is 9990. Most of the riding is at 7500-9000 feet.

Summer thunderstorms are most likely at KM so be ready for rain. A bit less likely at the Piutes, and somewhat rarer at LPNF.

I'm in the LA area and KM is a weekend outing. It's too far for a day ride. The Piutes are not bad if you have the fuel range to ride from Jawbone or Dove Springs. It takes a long time to drive to the top of the Piutes, so its a weekend outing for that. LPNF is an easy day ride from most of the LA area.

There are also some high altitude trails in the Holcomb valley (Big Bear) area.

KM is red sticker all year.

Just to pipe in on Big Bear, it dose get it's share of thunder storms during the summer. I have gone riding on really hot days and ended up having absolutely fantastic conditions up at the BB. Although you may not find the fantastic single track that KM and the Piutes have to offer, there are still some really fun and challenging trails to be found. Iw17, John Bull, the stuff at cactus flats just to name a few.:thumbsup: