Sign in to follow this  

DRZSM outclassed a Buell XB9 tonite

I had an interesting ride tonite. A guy with a new Buell XB9 (950cc?) spotted me at the local bike meeting spot on my SM and asked me if I wanted to go for a ride. So we headed out for the twistys.

I was watching him behind me, he was looking like he was going to pass me on the inside and was pulling small wheelies and comming close to running into me.

So......... I said to myself, lets see how big your Buells really are. I knew this guy was trying to prove something too!

I pulled a wheelie in 3rd and carried it right thru to wide open 5th. He came charging from behind and we headed into the first turn. He was right on my back

After a few more turns he was fading bad and i was out pulling him on the straights. That Buell only seems to work good at full throttle.

So after about 5 miles i stopped for 30 seconds and waited. He rode up and siad, jeeze I wish i would have bought a DRZ, i couldnt find a black one so I bought this Buell.

We then looked over our bikes and the Buell was worn right to the edge of the rear tire and the front suspension which is about only 6 inches of travel, had left marks where it bottomed out. Funny thing was I only pushed the Drz enough to stay ahead, there was lots left.

So thats it, another person wishing he had a DRZ. Suzuki owes me advertising fees. The DRZ rocks, but you guys already know!!!

you beat a newb in a race, yay :ride:

i bet even if he had a drz he still woulda lost, not knocking the guy, but he probably has less experience on his bike than you do on yours

find him in 6 months - a year, and then we'll see who gets left behind :thumbsup:

the drz is pretty low on the torq and hp

Mike Buell is a racer that once worked for Harley. He designed his own race bikes with european motors. When he couldn't get those anymore, he asked HD if he could buy modified sportster motors. HEAVILY MODIFIED sportster motors.

So now he works in conjunction with HD but I think he builds them in a separate plant.

Any HD dealer can get a Buell dealership pretty easily. :thumbsup:

Actually HD pushes the Buell line at the HD only dealerships. Most don't want them, because they have a tough time selling them. Just like they have a tough time selling V-rods.

That is one thing about the DRZ. It may not be the fastest thing on the road but you can ride the hell out of it. I have been able to out ride lots of other bikes on the DRZ. The bike is just the total package. Other bikes may have bigger engines and more cc's but that just makes them look worse when you have to wait for them at the end of the road for 30 seconds. Good job!! :thumbsup:

Mike Buell is a racer that once worked for Harley. He designed his own race bikes with european motors. When he couldn't get those anymore, he asked HD if he could buy modified sportster motors. HEAVILY MODIFIED sportster motors.

So now he works in conjunction with HD but I think he builds them in a separate plant.

Any HD dealer can get a Buell dealership pretty easily. :thumbsup:

His name is Erik though, not Mike :ride:

More likely drzsm RIDER outclassed xb9 RIDER...

+1

It is quite apparent from the replies not too many of the posters know the first thing about Buells, yet are quick to dis them. I know the bikes rather well, and while I could care less whether anybody likes them, I can pretty much guarantee I could keep up with you just fine :thumbsup:

I can out run most I4 600cc-1000cc street riders in the twisties here in Colorado and I pass them all the time at the track, of course I can do the same on my DRZ but there is no way I can keep up in the straights, where the Buell has a much higher top speed. BTW the big V-twin is a high torque tractor, so if he was loosing ground to you through the corners and at the exits, he didn't know how to ride it.

pmi1.jpg

If you like that sort of thing... sigh. Maybe I should see if I can get my 929 back for a day and we could meet at the track. :thumbsup:

I own both bikes, a '2003 XB9S Lightning and a 2005 DRZ400S. Although I like both bikes immensely, I would have to say on tight twisty pavement the DRZ holds a handling and agility edge. I don't have the 17" moto wheels, so I suspect the advantage would be even more pronounced with stickier tires. Up to about 70-80 the DRZ has less weight, and slightly more cornering clearance. The Buell still kicks in a drag race, though, but not by much. On high speed maneuvers over 80-90 mph the DRZ is definitely tapped out. Most riding around my neighborhood seems to favor the DRZ.

If you like that sort of thing... sigh. Maybe I should see if I can get my 929 back for a day and we could meet at the track. :thumbsup:

I would pay to see that.

bring the buell to the drz rally at imi.

i would like to try my luck against it.......... :thumbsup:

If Eddie's going to get his DRZ out this is going to get good! :ride: