Sign in to follow this  

exactly how hard is it to change a top end?

i have an 05 sx 125 which i ride pretty hard and im kinda geting scared that im going to blow the top end. So i was wondering how hard it would be to change the top end one on of these bad boys. I think i could do it i just need something to explain it to me. Is there any web sites that take you step by step on how to change the top end on your bike? or could any one just explain it to me? thanks

p.s.- im pretty sure its time for a top end change on it anyways.so this would be a good time to learn.

i'm not a 2 stroke guy but all i know is take the seat and tank off and remove the cylinder head. BOOM there is your piston change it with new rings. Houn the cylinder and put a new spark plug. and chage the reeds if needed.

so what would i need to order...parts wise.....piston, rings, c clips, piston pin.....is thier anything else or is that it?

so what would i need to order...parts wise.....piston, rings, c clips, piston pin.....is thier anything else or is that it?

go to your dealer and order a piston, rings, c clips, piston pin, spark plug, and top end gaskets. check your reeds and replace them if there chipped or cracked- get v-force 3 if you do replace them :thumbsup:

go to your dealer and order a piston, rings, c clips, piston pin, spark plug, and top end gaskets. check your reeds and replace them if there chipped or cracked- get v-force 3 if you do replace them :thumbsup:

Also take your old base gasket to the dealer so they can match the thickness with the new gasket - in order to get you X dimension right.