Stock oil filter vs. Ready vs. K&N/Twin Air

It's time for an oil change on my '06 WR250. I usually use the Yamaha filters but I'm getting tired of paying $12 a pop from all the local shops (although I see they're only $9 on TT - but then there's the $10 membership + shipping). The K&N and Twinair filters are right about $9-10 at Motosport Outlet. 'Course I'll have to pay shipping which will probably make the price right back up to $12.

Then there's the Ready filter at $55...it's reusable and, in therory, will pay for itself in about 5 oil changes. But I don't know if I want to shell out that kind of dough for an oil filter. Are they really worth it? Do they really last that long? How do you clean them - Simple Green?

Any thoughts on comparing these filters? Do the K&N / Twinair filters work any better than the Yamaha filters (which seem to do a good job as it is)?

Is it just me or are oil filter prices retarded for such a rinky dink piece of paper? At least when I pay that much for one on my pickup, I get a substantial hunk of metal surrounding it. ?

The Scotts in my '03 is 3 years old. The one in my 250F is two years old. Do they last that long? Yes, and longer.

You can clean them in a variety of ways. I swish mine in CLEAN mineral spirits while holding the filter by the ends to keep any dirt from getting inside. I follow that with carb cleaner and then compressed air.

Soap or Simple Green and water work well. too.

I do 18-20 oil changes a year, with a clean filter each time. At that rate, replaceables would need to cost $3.25 match up with my $65 Scotts for one year. Then there's year two and three. Mainly though, I use them because they are a better filter than the replaceables are.

Yamaha air filters are actually pretty good when new, but I think that White Bros, Twin Air, etc., are more durable.

Don't use a K&N:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3619151#post3619151

I used to work in a factory that made oil filters for cars so here's the deal. Probably 90% of the filters we made used the exact same paper, glue, shell, spring, seal, and bottom plate. All they got was a different color of paint and a different label. They did not shut the line down and change parts, they just kept pumping them out and it only took a few minutes to change colors. Some of the AC Delco, Mopar, or Motorcraft filters used a different paper and maybe a different spring. I personally used the high-flo's in my 250f and I can guarantee you that there isn't much difference in the paper, if any between the papers filters. As for reusable filters, I have never had one but it would save you some cash if you do alot of oil changes. If your like me though, you don't know what you will be riding in a year, except that it will be a Yamaha.

I used a new Scott's stainless filter when I purchased my RMZ450 in 05.I use to spend a .5 hour cleaning it,and was still not satisfied every particle came out.I used about 3/4 of a can of brake cleaner or carb cleaner, then soap and water.This lasted for 2 oil changes,basically the re-usables are not for someone like me. Also I do not like the oil stains left behind on the pores of the filter,look very closely . I believe in throwing a new paper filter in, and there is no question about it!

Yamaha air filters are actually pretty good when new, but I think that White Bros, Twin Air, etc., are more durable.

Don't use a K&N:

I thought we were talking about oil filters. ? though I do agree about the K&N air filters. K&N oil filters are a fine product though ,being Hi-flos are the same.

Thanks for the input everyone! I am only interested in the oil filters - my air filter is still in good shape.

Like Bigred, I'm pretty into getting every little speck of dirt scrubbed off of something before feeling like it's clean. So maybe a SS filter isn't for me.

I found the Hi-Flo for about $3.25 from Dennis Kirk. I think I might order some from there and just keep a few on hand.

what's it matter if every speck is not off the scotts ss filter?

the filter can outflow more than the oil pump can produce.

and not only that, the scotts is a better flowing filter with some crud on it than the papers are brand new. and the scotts wont crush. and the scotts wont let a sliver through. and a speck can't cut its way through the scotts like can happen on the paper.

i put a scotts in my 01 in 01. jee, it it still in the bike 5 years later. still filters as good now as it did new. which happens to be better than any paper filter could dream of doing.

oh, and i just changed the oil on my 06 last night. yeah, its had a scotts since the 1st oil change. i have documented every oil change on this bike. that was oil change number 14 last night.

I thought we were talking about oil filters. ?

He had two questions:
Do the K&N / Twinair filters work any better than the Yamaha filters (which seem to do a good job as it is)?
Twin Air doesn't make anyoil filters that I know about. :ride:
As for reusable filters, I have never had one but it would save you some cash if you do alot of oil changes. If your like me though, you don't know what you will be riding in a year, except that it will be a Yamaha.
When I first got our '06, I put the oil filter from the 250F in it while the new one was in transit. I could have simply kept that one, but I'm selling it with the bike.
what's it matter if every speck is not off the scotts ss filter?

the filter can outflow more than the oil pump can produce.

and not only that, the scotts is a better flowing filter with some crud on it than the papers are brand new. and the scotts wont crush. and the scotts wont let a sliver through. and a speck can't cut its way through the scotts like can happen on the paper.

i put a scotts in my 01 in 01. jee, it it still in the bike 5 years later. still filters as good now as it did new. which happens to be better than any paper filter could dream of doing.

There's the thing; The Scotts is a superior filter regardless of the reusability. It takes me no more than 5 minutes to clean one, and not nearly that much carb cleaner. It won't cause an oil pressure drop, it won't bypass cold (or any other time, within reason) and filters better overall. That simple.

There's the thing; The Scotts is a superior filter regardless of the reusability. It takes me no more than 5 minutes to clean one, and not nearly that much carb cleaner. It won't cause an oil pressure drop, it won't bypass cold (or any other time, within reason) and filters better overall. That simple.

EXACTLY!!! :ride:??

i have no idea what it would take to put it into bypass, but i'll guess sae50 wt oil at -40F or so much metal that your engine shouldn't be running anyway.

It seems like you guys really like your Scotts SS filters. How do you think they compare with Ready SS filters? The Scotts is about $15 more and the Ready filter comes with a fancy filter compartment cover.

Scotts is better flowing and catches more than paper Hmmmmmmmmmmm .I believe a Major air filter producer makes the same claim,but it is not true.

I feel like I am at the grocery store,"PAPER OR STAINLESS" ? I will stick to paper.