Sign in to follow this  

Best age to start your kid riding. Please vote.

This question has probably been answered over and over again, but I have only one son... That's good enough for me to I guess ask again.

Reese, my son, is, I feel, exceptionally coordinated. He also has a wonderful, but slightly overprotective mom. He will be four in October.

My question relates to when is the right time to have him start riding.

Some of you hard cores will respond with, "Dude, I have been riding since I was three months old. Break his a$$ in!!!"

That's not what I'm looking for.

What I would like is a survey from SEASONED and EXPERIENCED dirtbike riders.

When is a good age for my little guy to get broken in?

I'm not going to name drop, but I know some prominent people in this sport, and can ask them. But I would like to hear it from the community.

Three? Four? Six?

When is good? What's a good rule of thumb?

What's cool about Thumpertalk is that a rider can get excellent advice from fellow riders.

Thanks ahead of time, guys.

Well this may not be what you want to hear, but im 16 and i started riding a suzuki 50cc quad when i was 3. When i was 4 i got my first dirtbike. Im not sure but i would say 4-5 is best. Mostly whenever youre comfortable with it and he can fit a bike.

When I was 5 I got a Honda FATCAT 50 if you even know what that is (I'm really starting to feel old) I could barly ride a pedal bike so dad had a friend weld a set of training wheels on it. Some of these new little bikes are great and have ways to govern them to keep them slow untill the little guy gets used to it.

Dauntae

I'd say 6 to 7 years would be best to get em' on a motorcycle.

I think younger than 6 is kinda pushing it.

it shouldnt really matter as long as the little man feels confident. If hes not ready he will let you know. :thumbsup::ride:

I tried to get my son to ride when he was 4 and he had no interest. He started riding when he was 5 and now I cannot keep him off it. My daughter had just turned 5 and she was addicted instantly.

• Like 1

I depends on the kid. My son got an XR (CRF) 50 for his 3rd birthday and was riding with center mounted training wheels shortly after. The only reason he started that young is because he wanted to and he understands and follows instructions very well and does everything he's told. He will be 4 in Oct. and is riding every night, gaining confidence by the day. I still have the training wheels on because he can't reach the ground yet. I would recommend the XR50 because the throttle stop works very well, the PW's free wheel and you can't slow them down, they are scary fast when they get going. I also stress full gear every time he gets on the bike just trying to make it second nature. So, XR50 and when he can understand how to control the throttle, brake and follow instruction.

I started mine at 5 and he was more than ready for it.

I'd say the kid will be ready in the mid 4th year, assuming he can ride a bike well...

Now, when will Dad be ready to watch the love of his life eat dirt? :thumbsup:

Now, when will Dad be ready to watch the love of his life eat dirt? :ride:

HaHA...

Or watch my baby girl try to climb a tree (twice). :ride::cry:

We didn't tell mommy right away. :thumbsup:

I started my son at three and he took to it like a fish to water. Each kid is different so who knows. :thumbsup:

My kid (8 yrs old) save his allowance for his bike. Gives you an idea of how bad he wants it - and it builds character. I made a deal that I whould pay for half (up to a certain price - turns out I paid only 20%).

It's a tough situation - you want your kid to ride so you can have that future riding buddy, but on the other hand you don't want to just turn around and sell a depreciating item if he doesn't use it.

my 2 cents

I have a 4 1/2 year old son in a similar situation. He wants to ride but due to the fact his feet can't reach the ground we have delayed the motorcycle till he can touch. I asked myself would I ride a bike I couldn't touch? Instead of putting him on a motorcycle I have him riding a bicycle. The training wheels came off around 4. He rides the bicycle on dirt and rocks so he is getting used to taking some hits. At his preschool they had bike day and he was the only 4 year old without training wheels. So he can be like dad he wears a kids motorcycle helmet, gloves, and Scott goggles. He has a Suzuki 50 quad for him to practice throttle & brakes while I follow him on a crf 50. When he is a little taller he will ride the Crf, actually he gets on it all the time to show me he is getting close to touching.

When my son was 4 1/2 he told me he wanted a motorcycle. I told him he was crazy he wasn't even off training wheels on his bike. 2 weeks later he was riding without training wheels. When he turned 5 we got him a XR50 and he loved it. He is 8 now riding a KLX110. He does not care for quads much. He is doing jumps and lifting his feet in the air. It really depends on the child. My older son just likes to put around on quads.

A couple of rules:

#1 They have to be able to ride a bike, unless you want training wheels.

#2 They should be able to pick the bike up off the ground.

#3 They at least should be able to lean the bike over and touch with one foot

#4 Momma has to be happy.

A couple of rules:

I think this is good advice. The first being able to ride a bike without training wheels. This differs from child to child and that is the age I think they will have balance. Obviously if you are trying to get them into riding motocross the sooner the better, this way they will be more comfortable as time goes on. Mine started at 6 1/2 years old now almost 8 he is going to enter his first race in 2 weekends. I feel he is a little behind a lot of the riders, but I also think he is having fun and that is all that matters to me, not the place he will finish, but the fun.

my daughter started at 4yrs with no training wheels on an xr 50.. my boy started riding that bike at 22 months with training wheels

like it has been stated before it all depends on the kid, i know a kid who got a brand new crf50 for his 4th birthday rode it once and it sat for a year untill his mom and dad sold it. on his 6th birthday he decided he wanted a bike again, he got a brand new crf80, and he decides he wants a quad now. let your kid ride a bike a few times before you get it for him and if he loses interest dont force it on him, if you have a bike and ride he will eventually want to ride and therefore want to ride his bike again, and dont get him something new every time he decides his bike is boring. i hate it when kids parents buy them something faster because they can take there bike full throttle down a gravel rode, if you have not mastered a bike you do not need a new one

A couple of rules:

I agree with these statements and the one that says ever child is different.

And for dad, don't turn into a "Little League Dad" that pushes the kid until he hates the sport and you. Riding is all about fun, unless the kid wants to push hard. Then you have to push hard and realize this is a child and could be in the sport competitively for 30 years. Pace yourself so he/she doesn't burn out. How many super talented kids have come up through the ranks, but just don't have the desire anymore.

I decided to be a pro skier when I was 10. Made it to the Nationals twice as a competitor and once as a coach. I have the bad knees to prove it.