Sign in to follow this  

Vapor watertemp sensor!

I just got my Vapor and start to install it :-)

Where did you install the watertemp sensor?

The easyest way to install it is in the lower hose if the wire is long enough, but this is the readings after it´s been coold down!

Pictures please!?

I put it on top of stator side radiator. There is an air bleed screw which fits temp sensor thread.

so are you saying you removed just the screw, or the six sided piece that the screw bolts into?

on my rad, there is a air bleed screw, but the threads are much smaller than the temp sensor threads. Do I remove the part it bolts into, is that just threaded into the rad?

has anyone else put the sensor here?

I've put mine in there too. Just remove the bleed screw, not the whole fitting from the top of the rad. Unscrew the sensor from the hose connector and stick it it the bleed hole with a bit of sealant. Magic.

Hrm, the temp sensor that came with my Vapor is an inline hose sensor, and does not go in the bleeder hole it goes inline in the hose.

Sitting on the bike, I put it in the left radiator upper hose at the point where it crosses through the frame. The sensor wire was long enough at that point to run to the handlebars.

I spoke to the guy at Trailtech yesterday about the exact same thing as I didn't want to cut into the rad hose. He said a few people have put the sensor in the bleed screw hole on the left rad but cautioned not to over tighten as its only a brass sensor but looking at the pictures of the sensor on the web site (closest I can get at the moment as they are still 2 weeks away from stock!) I can't see how the sensor comes apart.

Does anyone who has put the sensor in the rad have a picture please?

We have several different sensors depending on the model application. Not sure what the DRZ bleed hole thread size is?

Does anyone who has put the sensor in the rad have a picture please?

Here's mine. Sorry about the poor quality.

tempsensor.jpg

Here's mine. Sorry about the poor quality.

tempsensor.jpg

Spot on!

I'm pretty sure its M6.

Why buy another sensor? You can just use the one from the kit, it unscrews from the hose connector. Mine was definately M6.

Spoke to TrailTech again today. Definately M6 sensor - bolts straight in. Just remember to use a pipe sealant or some PTFE tape as the sensor is hollow brass. :thumbsup:

Plus you'd better get your order in as they are still 2 weeks away from having stock and there's a waiting list for them when they arrive!

I mounted my Vapor and, following the advice on this thread, removed the temp sensor from the hose fitting, put sealant on the threads and bolted it into the air bleed location on top of the left radiator. Fit right in.

I just started the bike and let it warm up in the driveway. But the water temp didn't register at all, even though the radiators were too hot to touch more than a second or two. Does the bike have to reach a minimum temp - 150f or so - before it registers? (BTW, my bike is a 2006 DRZ-E with about 85 miles on it.)

But the water temp didn't register at all, even though the radiators were too hot to touch more than a second or two. Does the bike have to reach a minimum temp - 150f or so - before it registers?

No you have to hit the reset button on the back of the unit. might also want to try hitting the left and middle key on the temperature screen.

• Like 1

No you have to hit the reset button on the back of the unit. might also want to try hitting the left and middle key on the temperature screen.

Thanx, I'll give it a go.

Thanx again, G-slide. That did the trick. I reset the Vapor, started the bike and it began to register the temp at 100 degrees F. (I couldn't ride due to out-of-town company).

I then noticed that my headlight was out so I fiddled around and found a broken wire in the taped-up part of the harness, about 5" from the headlight. Very unexpected on a new bike but easy to fix.

You can order the sensor to fit the bleed screw.

The procedure is to remove the current screw in place on top of the left radiator.

Following removal of the old screw, screw in the new screw. Plug it into the back of the vapor unit.

You can order the sensor to fit the bleed screw.

No need to order a special sensor. The sensor in the in-line hose fitting is a perfect replacement for the bleed screw, so you can just remove it from the hose fitting and screw it into the top of the left radiator. Thanks anyway, though.