Sign in to follow this  

XR 80 help

I just bought my son a used 1996 XR 80 and I need help with a couple of things.The first thing is the clutch seems quite stiff to pull.It works fine but it is all he can do to pull it in.Any suggestions?Secondly ,which is the idle screw on the carb.The bike starts and runs great but it won't idle and I'm thinking it just needs to be set up.Lastly I don't yet have a manual for it and I want to change the oil in it but I don't know the quantity and type of oil it needs.

Thanks for your help.

The higher, more forward screw is the idle speed, the other is for mixture. For an oil change us .74 quarts of 10-40 or 20-50 depending on temp. Search for help on the clutch, it's been discussed a lot.

Is it apt to be an internal issue or a cable issue?I did a search and didn't really find an answer.

So the more I read it seems that this is just the way they are.Why would Honda make a small bike with a clutch that's hard to pull.It doean't make sense.Has anyone had any luck with other perches and levers?

So the more I read it seems that this is just the way they are.Why would Honda make a small bike with a clutch that's hard to pull.It doean't make sense.Has anyone had any luck with other perches and levers?

Our 80 is hard to pull too. This worked for us...maybe for you too:

I drilled and tapped a screw into the perch so the lever bottoms against the head when you release the lever. The effect is less travel and the lever is closer in to the grip when released. This makes it easier to pull in for smaller hands. I adjusted the cable tension so the clutch engages\disengages for proper performance.

This may be a stupid question but when you are readjusting the clutch cable how do you tell when it is fully engaged.Do you go buy the lever down on top of the clutch?

M.S.R makes a perch and lever "pro raptor" it changes the leverage. got one it's way better 50% at least it also has a set screw to sho

rten the throw , my son could not pull his in eather and it's an 03 rocky mtn has them

i have an MSR raptor.

before, i had to tow use fingers to pull in the clutch, and i could barely do it.

now, it's one finger all day long.

I went to their website but I don't see a perch called a Raptor.Are they all called Raptor?

I dont think you can buy direct from msr. do a search for rocky mouantin mc. red rider posted lube the cabel and he is right you should,although it wont solve your problem it is a leverage problem. some peopel have used cr 80 levers and perches with mixed results and moose cabel pulls like yt k posted work good

I have now tried the CR 85 perch and lever.It helped but still stiff.Will the Moose easy pull sysytem mount on any set of bars?Are different clutch cables needed?

I just had bought an xr80 that I had to get running. It too would run but not idle. It turned out that the slow jet was clogged. Use a "B" string from a guitar which is almost exactly .035 (the same size as the slow jet)

On my bike I could not see thru the jet. Running the guitar string thru it unclogged it and it idles fine now.

For the clutch he will get accustom to tht

Another person made a thread about the same problem with the clutch . . . so yeh he will get accustom to it after about 2-3 weeks of riding

Just bought a 96 XR 80 for my son. I think the clutches are just hard to pull by design. Lots of good info out there, but I just used the factory adjuster so the friction point is closer to the grip, which made it fine for my son, plus now his forearm gets a good workout! :devil: