Sign in to follow this  

Where do you carry your extra face shield?

Just got an Arai with an extra shield and wonder how I can carry it when I commute. Not crazy about wearing it around my waist or shoulder if there is another option. No tankbag either.

Dang picky, ain't I?

I'm picky too, that's why it has never gone with me.

I normally wear a light tint. I carry safety glasses and ride with the shield open if it gets dark. When I commute and it's dark going in I wear the clear and carry sunglasses for the ride home. Just don't use the polarized sunglasses with the polarized shield, it looks like you are tripping with all the rainbows :thumbsup:

My second shield is a dark tint but I wonder if the smoke tint might be light enough to ride with at night. My commute is only 15 minutes with about 10 minutes on the freeway just before 11pm when there is very little traffic. The rest is at about 30mph and I can ride with the shield up.

Sounds like the alternatives are either a clear shield and sunglasses or a tinted shield and clear safety glasses.

Or maybe I should ditch the shields and use goggles with smaller, more packable lenses.

Nice to hear from a night commuter who understands. Thanks!

BTW, are the Arai tinted shields polarized, or is that a special order?

Not sure on the Arai shields. I have an HJC and the light tint with the mirror comes polarized. It's a nice feature that eliminates a lot of glare.

My shield is pretty light tint and no you can't ride at night. you would think you can but you lose some vision and that ain't good.

I just use a clear shield with sunglasses. It's too much of a pita to deal with a tinted shield.

I use the Fog City Pro Shield liner in the faceshield It works quite well not as good as changing shields but it is really nice for all year, I got it mainly to keep the fog & Ice out of my vision area but found the photosensitive one to be good for year round riding. TT may sell them, I know that Aerostich does.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Fog-City-Pro-Shield-Photosensitive-p-17913.html

A tip if you get one, TAKE YOUR TIME when installing it, line up the template and make sure that the faceshield is clean, then repeat the process DON'T RUSH.

Gary

I had forgotten Fog City came out with the photosensitive ones. Had a clear one before, but it was only $16. $32 seems a bit pricey when you are pasting it onto a $50 shield. Maybe I can get a better deal on one somewhere.