WR250F or DRZ400, which would choose?

In my search for a trail bike it appears to be down to these two.

2003 WR250F ($2,500) or 2001 DRZ 400 ($2,000).

I am leaning towards the DRZ because it fits me better. I can't touch the ground on the WR.

Which one?

WR250 - Lighter, Slower, Better Suspension, More Maintenance

DRZ - Heavier, Bigger Balls, Worse Suspension, Less maintenance

Not much you can do to lighten up the DRZ, the suspension can be fixed though with new springs and revalving.. (But it depends on what you weigh now..)

Also.. another thing to look at... are there any mods done to either bike?

Is the DRZ an S or E model? If S, then the suspension is not as good as the E and it is even heavier (I have that year and model). The big question is where are you going to ride? Tight woods/single track, then no question, get the WR. If it will include fire roads and some thoughts of dual sporting, then the DRZ.

I'd love to have both, but more of my riding involves being street legal, so I wrestle my DRZ through the woods on occasion.

Is the DRZ an S or E model? If S, then the suspension is not as good as the E and it is even heavier (I have that year and model). The big question is where are you going to ride? Tight woods/single track, then no question, get the WR. If it will include fire roads and some thoughts of dual sporting, then the DRZ.

I'd love to have both, but more of my riding involves being street legal, so I wrestle my DRZ through the woods on occasion.

Summed up perfectly ?

The WR has all the "free" mods, everything else stock. The DZR has after market header and pipe that the owner states a $700.00 value.

I plan doing more trail riding than anything else, but who knows. I have been away from anything of that sort for 27 years and now it's with my boys (11/12) who will be quickly growing out of thier PW80s.

Thanks

theres only 2 pipes in that range that our worth a damn Akra full ti, and yosh full ti race pipe . if any aftermarket pipe is on there ask if he has rejetted the carb and see if he did a airbox mod. a knowlegable buyer can make a seller bite his tongue.

I plan doing more trail riding than anything else, but who knows. I have been away from anything of that sort for 27 years and now it's with my boys (11/12) who will be quickly growing out of thier PW80s.

Thanks

Everything else aside - you may need a more off road bike (wr) just to keep up with them.

edit - If no estart on the wr, then the drz. Later on you are going to be leading the pack to a flat spot, turning the engine off, listening for their bikes to be coming closer or no bike noises but "daaaaad" being yelled that you might want to hear.

your kids are going to grow - very quick. Take lots of pics.

I went from a DRZ to a WRF, if you're just getting back into it and you're mainly going to do trail rides go DRZ. Can't beat the e-start, especially if you're riding with kids who may cause you to stop and start your bike a lot.

Yes the DRZ is heavier, but I still miss the torque and bottom end. I don't miss the weight, but I'm only 5'6 and 140 - you may not notice it as much as I did! Even still, the DRZ is only ~25 lbs (E model, not S) heavier than the WR and the DRZ carries its weight pretty good (just don't drop it repeatedly!!!).

Either bike is a good bike, don't forget that you can adjust the suspension on the WR as well, that's what I did to suit my height!

• 4 weeks later...

2. the Wr is more flickable but has no topend

One of the WRs strong points is top end power. Its a little soft on the bottom but pulls hard all the way to 13.5K RPMs. Top speed with the stock 13/52 gearing is 80-85mph if thats what you meant by top end.

Those that say WR have not ridden a DRZ, I've ridden both and the WR250F is larthargic and boring to ride (no POWER). The DRZ has an aftermarket exhaust and that's a pretty big upgrade for it, really wakes the DRZ up. Ya, the DRZ is a bit heavy but you can't compare it too a WR250 cause the power difference is to dramatic. Looks like the price on it is a killer as well 2000$, that's just a steal!!

If the DRZ is an E model I'd say go DRZ. They're a pleasure to ride and you'll be guaranteed all smiles. ? The DRZ also has quite a bit more power than a wr, and although it is heavier, I really don't even notice the weight even riding super tight single track.

In my search for a trail bike it appears to be down to these two.

2003 WR250F ($2,500) or 2001 DRZ 400 ($2,000).

I am leaning towards the DRZ because it fits me better. I can't touch the ground on the WR.

Which one?

Always go with the newer machine. Since the WR has all the "free mods" (its uncorked) you will walk all over a DRZ. Sure, you'll have to kickstart it, but it's so much lighter than the DRZ I think you'll be a lot happier with it on the trails (and when you drop it! :ride: ) To sum up, you can add more power to both bikes, but you'll NEVER get the DRZ's weight into WR territory! Go with the Yamaha. ?