How is the power on an XR650L?

I am in the market for a bike to turn into a supermoto. Yesterday I went to test drive a DRZ400SM, and was dissapointed by its lack of power and torque. Nice bike, but not enough go.

Now, I understand the XR650R is an animal, but harder to find in street trim. If I manage to find one of those that has been registered, I will get it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thats what brings me to this thread. How is the XR650L, power-wise? I want something that can power wheelie (no clutch) in 1st gear, and can actually go on the highway with my fat ass (neither of which the DRZ can do very well).

I would do something like a KTM, but their ridiculous prices and their reputation for iffy quality make me wary. I have a very old (1976) Honda XL250, and I love it, its the most dead-on reliable bike I've ever owned. I'd like to have that kind of reliability with some more power, which is what lead me to XR650's.

So, the XR650L, powerful? What about XL650's, how are they?

I think that the 650L has the power that you are looking for. 1st gear power wheelies should be no problem. In fact with just a bit of body english the wheel will lift in 3rd or 4th. The 650L has enough hp and gearing to cruise at 75 to 80. It's not a high revving motor like the DRZ, it has lots of torque at low revs.

The 650L has an 8.6 to 1 compression ratio. This allow it to run 87 octane regular most of the time. It can ping in high temperature high load situations, like riding in sand dunes.

It should be just as reliable at that XL250.

My 650L power wheelied in second....i know exactly what you are talking about.....few weeks after i got my 650, my cuson got a drz400 and that thing felt like a damn moped....no power at all. If you can, get the 650R otherwise get the L.

Thats what I wanted to hear. Hopefully tonight after work, I can get in for a test drive of a new XR650L

Don't forget that all stock bikes are plugged up from the factory, and a nice performance gain is easy with jetting/filter/muffler mods. Any stocker will feel slow and sluggish compared to dialed in stage 1 bikes.

DBM

when I bought my new 2005 XR650L in April 2005, the dealer told me that he sells all of his allocation of 650L's every year, and asks Honda for more. Honda always answers no and does not up his allocation for the next year! weird...the only reason I could see was that they only produce so many and distribute them evenly - knowing all will sell - as they have for over a decade. However business wise it makes one think, if they sell so good, why not make more! sell mre increase profit, simple business. That is unless something is on the board to replace the XR650L and $ otherwise spent in making more of a dated yet extremely popular bike are going into design / development of a new bike and althouh I think we would all m iss the XR650L as it is today. We would also welcome something new, as long as it is just as reliable yet better...some ideas ...

More of dedicated dirt bike than a dual sport.

maybe simply factory legalize the XR650R, with e-start. And I betcha that is about as drastic as Honda goes whenever the 650L is replaced, as Honda tends to be conservative about these things.

Then again would they go for it? and bring out a factory legalized CRF450L..who knows...

But for now the XR650L is legendary in reliability and performance, given it is what it is. The first all out attempt at making a street legal dirt bike back in 1993. The XR600R frame with a NX650 engine in it, heavy yes. But is is a BIG bore single and very capable on the road and off. It is not a Motocrosser nor an enduro bike, it is a BIG trail bike capable of freeway commutes. It is a bike that can be modified to suit almost any rider - as long as he / she understands it will never be a full on race bike. But it is a grinner! and will give countless hours of fun to it's owner without ever asking for much in return, maybe an il change, clean filter and a fresh plug now and then. Leave it stock or uncork it. The choice is up to you, either way it is fun-fun-fun! it is in my humble opinion the end of the Honda air cooled era from the 72 XL250 to the XR650L - wow what bikes! that generations grew up on and continue to enjoy today.

Thats what I wanted to hear. Hopefully tonight after work, I can get in for a test drive of a new XR650L

I left out that my bike had a good $800+ in power ups..... stock it wouldnt do second gear wheelies. My 650 totaly decimated a drz400 in a street drag....won by like 10 bike lengths in a eighth(ish) mile.

Since we’re on this topic…let me hi-jack for a second…

I’ve seen on numerous sites on the net - the DRZ (street) rated @ more HP than the 650L…much more actually (by 6 or 7 hp). How is that possible?

Smaller displacement & higher compression? Or am I just reading hype?

Since we’re on this topic…let me hi-jack for a second…

I’ve seen on numerous sites on the net - the DRZ (street) rated @ more HP than the 650L…much more actually (by 6 or 7 hp). How is that possible?

Smaller displacement & higher compression? Or am I just reading hype?

Peak hp means nothing....L's put out a steady 40 all over the powerband.....a drz might hit 45hp in a 200 rpm range but only puts out 30 hp elsewhere. And the drz puts out way way less torque.

• 9 years later...