How do you remove the brake caliper????

Ok I know how to take a brake caliper off, but it is a pain in the a$$ to get the front brake caliper off with a 17" rim and a 320mm rotor. Am I missing something obvious here? There is jus not enought room to slide the caliper out from in between the rotor and the rim. How do you guys do it? I want to be able to switch my dirt tires on quick and easily but this is neither.

Thanks for any advice.

I know that I have to wiggle my caliper back and forth to push the pistons into the caliper body before I can get it off the rotor. That little extra bit of play is JUST enough for the caliper to squeeze out of there. This is a 17" Excel and a 320mm MotoMaster caliper/rotor.

Chris.

Wallace,

You must not be running 320mm rotors on 17" rims, the caliper must be unbolted to in order to even begin taking the front wheel off.

chrissa,

Yea, that is what I do, I thought I must have been doing something wrong. I am afraid to put new brake pads on because then I will not be able to make enough "wiggle" room in the caliper.

Do you run 320mm on your dirt tire's or go back to stock :ride: . I'm planing on buying the easy switch conversion kit from motostrano. ? That one uses stock size rotor's for both. :applause:

Mike

I go back to the stock rotor on the dirt tires. I have been told running the larger rotor makes a huge differnce. Maybe I'll try my stock rotor on my supermoto wheels some day.

I am afraid to put new brake pads on because then I will not be able to make enough "wiggle" room in the caliper.

I just stuck a new set of pads in and it's a REAL tight fit, but it still works. Though I'm sure it has a ton to do with how the front wheel was put together and how the rim is spaced from the rotor. I got lucky.

Chris.

I can get my caliper off without taking the rotor off or removing the pads.

AND I am running a 16.5" front wheel.

I dont see what all the fuss is about?

I agree that you need to open the pistons up a bit but I dont twist the caliper around on the rotor to do it, I use those wooden wedges you get at home depot for shimming windows and stuff, (the good ones made of quality wood not the redwood ones that splinter into pieces). I think you are asking to bend a rotor (or carrier) doing it that way.