Sign in to follow this  

Modifying a Yosh Tec Insert

OK, I got one of the "new" tech inserts and I would like to modify it to allow it to flow better. (I want my Yosh quieter but not that much).

The outlet is approx a 1 3/8" ID but on the other side of the plate there is a 6" perforated steel tube with about a 1" OD. This tube is plugged at the end with a rounded plug and is wrapped with a spark arrestor screen. The holes in the steel tube are about 3/32". I estimate that the holes give the tube about a 20% open area.

I am hoping for your input as to the best way to mod this so it breathes a little better. My initial thought was to remove the screen, drill numerous larger holes into the tube and have someone in my shop re weld the screen back on. I think I can get the screen off in a good way to retain its integrity. Here is a picture of what it currently looks like.

http://www.jtsmotosports.com/index.php?main_page=products_new

Your input is appreciated.

Yes, if I had my way that is how I would like it - nothing like spending $20 on an anti-performance part :ride::thumbsup: - But many of the AMA events I go on are now starting to sound check. I do not want to drive 1.5 hours some day only to be told I can't ride because it is too loud.

Helpful comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd leave it intact...but if you must mess with it...and you want to keep its spark arresting abilities...cut the solid tip off (the side that goes in the can) and recontour (is that a word?) the screen so there are no gaps.

If you're riding on the road...I'd just take it out completely.

I usually take mine with me if I am running in Non-stealth mode just in-case I need it.