Sign in to follow this  

Click / tap noise???????????

Well guys I only have my 2006 crf a week and I decided to check the valve clearence. Just when I was turning over the engine to set it to tdc on the compression stroke I notice the engine clicks/taps on a cretain stroke. I never notcied this before is this normal. If anyone could go to their crf and turn it over slowly by hand and see if this happens. Another thing I noticed is when I turn off my bike it makes a click sound too, again is this normal? I'am completely new to four-strokes so any info is great.

I know what noise you are talking about, but I dont know if its bad or doesn't really do anything.

It's perfectly normal. It's just the auto decomp mechanism.

When I park my bike in the garage I kick it till I hear the click, then it's right about @ TDC.

That way there's no pressure on the valve springs while it's sitting and no moisture can get into the cylinder.

It's perfectly normal. It's just the auto decomp mechanism.

When I park my bike in the garage I kick it till I hear the click, then it's right about @ TDC.

That way there's no pressure on the valve springs while it's sitting and no moisture can get into the cylinder.

I believe that a lot of valve issues could be avoided by knowing how quickly those valve seats oxidize with an 'open' valve--take notice how fast a brake rotor oxidizes. This is one tip that is often overlooked & the easiest to do after washing/before storing a bike.

Thanks guys. Just sounded like someit was wrong with it. BTW when checkin my valve clearence some were just on the service limit. one exhaust was at the tightest clearence and one intake was at the largest clearence within the service limit. As time goes on do the clearences increace or decrease? Is it okay for them just to be on the service limits?

I believe that a lot of valve issues could be avoided by knowing how quickly those valve seats oxidize with an 'open' valve--take notice how fast a brake rotor oxidizes. This is one tip that is often overlooked & the easiest to do after washing/before storing a bike.

I see how that can be a big problem in Hawaii with the very salty air. Everything rusts and corrodes in no time over there. It's not much of an issue here though.

Do you ever play ride at south point? I saw a few bikes tearing it up there in June and was wishing I had my bike with me... :thumbsup: What a gorgeous place to ride by the ocean!

As time goes on do the clearences increace or decrease? Is it okay for them just to be on the service limits?

The clearances will decrease over time. Yes, just keep an eye on them to see how much they're changing.

BTW. The first 4-stroke I had with auto decomp kinda freaked me out to. Click...Click...

BTW. The first 4-stroke I had with auto decomp kinda freaked me out to. Click...Click...

It really did freak me out. For a minute I thought it sounded like a valve hittin off the piston. Yeah I worry too much. Just one more q. How long does it take to restart your crf after stalling? It takes mine at least 5 kicks (I'm still not used to it) and should I always use the hot start when hot?

i dont use it wen my bike is hot, the only time i really use it, is right after ive fallen. my bike usually starts in 2 kicks, after ive fallen, using the hotstart.

Clank Clank!1 Is more like it alright. I still have a habit from two strokes which I think affects the startin and that is revvin while kickin. I do it without realiseing!!

LOL! u THINK it affects the starting? it does brotha, it does. every one's bike is different, but mine, if im just starting it, wen i get to the track, i open the throttle 3-4 times, and it starts 1st or 2nd kick, without the choke on. u just gotta try different techiniques and see which one works best for your bike. my friends starts first kick with the choke on, mine wont start wen the choke is on, but it will start first kick if i do my technique.

(if i sounded like a dick in this post, i didnt mean to.)

No you don't sound like a dick. My crf fires up usually first kick with choke, its just when I stall I make a F of it. I may get used to it thats all.

ya wen u stall, just grab the hotstart, and kick, no throttle at all. its so funny, ive seen at least 20 people, wen they go to start their bike, they grab the handle bars instead of the throttle, becuz they kno they will give it gas wen they go to kick it over lol.

I see how that can be a big problem in Hawaii with the very salty air. Everything rusts and corrodes in no time over there. It's not much of an issue here though.

Do you ever play ride at south point? I saw a few bikes tearing it up there in June and was wishing I had my bike with me... :thumbsup: What a gorgeous place to ride by the ocean!

South Point is on big island[Hawaii]--we're on Maui but have shipped the bike[with the club in containers] over to Kauai for Labor Day races. Kauai has an outfit for trail riding/ excursions.

Well was at a practice thursday. Everything wen't great. Stalled once, but started first kick (forgot what gear I was in, The bike seems so torquey I forget!! LOL)