Sign in to follow this  

front wheel bearings

the front wheel bearings n my 03 250f are shot and i need to replace them i know how to get the new ones in but not how to get the old ones out. any suggestions?

What I did was knock them out with a drift punch. If you have a long 1/2" aluminum punch or equivalent, this will work.

Place the punch on the inside race of the bearing and tap it out with a hammer. There is a bearing spacer in there that may have to be moved over a little. Move around to different locations on the race so it comes out evenly.

If it is in there really tight, you can heat the hub slightly with a propane torch to make it easier to remove.

Or you could always buy a bearing remover...kinda pricey, but....

I just used a punch a hammer along with some PB blaster and my bearings came out fairly easy. Just make sure you're not pounding on the 3 little tabs that hold the spacer in place. They're on the right side inside the hub. I like to remove the left side first so I can see inside better since the spacer is removed so there is less of a chance of damaging the hub then. Hope I helped.

-Erick