Sign in to follow this  

2005 TC 250 Jetting

Jetting on this Bike??????????

Stock is 175 Main, 50 Pilot.

It's a Bitch to start unless I use the E-Button.

Curious as to what you folks are running.........

.........and yes, I know about JD Jet kits and no, I will not be buying one.

I think a simple Pilot and possibly Main swap will get it done, what does the JD kit recommend?

Has anyone tried different Jets without buying a "Kit"???

(hint, I have been told the Pilot is off by "10")

Thoughts?

.........and yes, I know about JD Jet kits and no, I will not be buying one.

Bob, I can't help on the TC250, but I've got to say I think paying the $70 for the JD kit is the wisest thing to do. Where else can you get a dyno tested setup, and great support via email (probably phone too...)? I think the money is well spent for the needle(s).

I never even started my 06 TE450 with the stock jetting setup. I put in JD recommended setup for my temp/elevation and enjoy one kick (yes I use the kick starter) starts. One warm/hot I mostly use the e-start, but have yet to need to use the hotstart on the carb...

I ride from sea level to about 3000', but have been as high as 6000' for brief stints during rides...she got a little blubbery, but 3/4-1 turn in on FS fixed her up.

I not trying to convince you, just relating my experience using JD kit.

Ya,

It's certainly nice to have a "Bolt-On" option.......

However, I do not agree with the logic that the Needle is the cure for a poorly jetted Bike. It is the only part that cannot be easily duplicated so I see the "Business Model".

The 250 is Soooooooooo far off according to 2 People I spoke to (10 Numbers on the Pilot???????????) that I think a Jet change will get it in the Ballpark.

Maybe a Needle to fine tune it or change the fuel curve, but bottom line the Jets will get it close.

And lets keep in mind, I thought my TC ran pretty good other than the Starting problems. I'll be interested to see how it runs now!!!

Basically the needle is too lean so Husky mask the problem with a big pilot jet. This bike should have a #40 or #42, no bigger, thats cheap & easy but leaves you lean thru the mid needle range, JD kit is a good cure but the other option is one of several needles from Kehein. I would try to get a OBEVP or OBETQ. With this "E" series taper (3rd diget is taper) of needle the main jet is more sensitive.

Also while your chassing jets try & get some "leak jets" for the accelerator pump, you probubly want a range from #60 to #80 (stock is I beleive a #35)

Cowboy, i agree with lairpost, i put the JD jet kit in the tc250 and it always, always starts right up, hot or cold. throttle response is vastly improved too. I've always jetted my bikes in the past with some success but like lair says, all that time and trial and error isn't worth $70!!! Put it in, enjoy no hassle starts, and roost! Got any ideas on a muffler/exhaust? that's my next objective.

PS my dealer sold the kit for $64.

Cowboy, i agree with lairpost, i put the JD jet kit in the tc250 and it always, always starts right up, hot or cold. throttle response is vastly improved too. I've always jetted my bikes in the past with some success but like lair says, all that time and trial and error isn't worth $70!!! Put it in, enjoy no hassle starts, and roost! Got any ideas on a muffler/exhaust? that's my next objective.

PS my dealer sold the kit for $64.

Leo Vince (so far in my testing) is far and away the best performing exhaust when it comes to power and tunability for sound limits.

If you don't care about noise, there are many that work well.