Sign in to follow this  

What bike for a 14yo new rider?

Neighbors dad wants to buy his kid a dirt bike. The kid is average size I guess, not short but kinda skinny. He's fairly athletic (skateboard tricks, bicycle stunts, back flips into the pool etc...) but has never ridden a dirt bike before.

I'll have no problem teaching him how to ride, but not sure what bike to suggest. I don't want the kid to outgrow his new bike too soon, or out ride a lower end kiddie bike.

I just bought my 14yo son a CRF250R but he's been riding for a year.

I'm thinking either a 250 4-stroke or some 125 smoker? What do you guys think?

You know I have no problem with the power aspect of the 250f or 125 smoker for a 14 year old it is very controllable.

However, even though I am 6ft I still can't believe how freaking high todays bikes are. The smokers are a little lower and a great suspension. The sudden burst of power might cause a little problem in the beginning I don't know.

I have to say, even at 210lbs my KLX125L is major fun. I have to shift a lot but it is low enough that I feel very comfortable in the corners on it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my wr250f and feel no need for a 450f but the height might be the only issue a 14year old beginner might have problems with.

Now lowering it somehow with different wheels might be an easy fix and then when he grows or gets use to it put the originals back on could be an option instead of buying a bike like the klx he might quickly outgrow.

Also keep in mind, we all shorten our throttle stops for more power. Stock the wr is pretty tame and you could even lengthen it if it was a concern.

Good luck and have fun.

How about a KXD200? Pretty manageable power, add a pipe and they rip, my oldest rides mine fine- 14 yrs old, tall and skinny. Plus, they hold their value pretty well, and are bullet proof.

125 2 smoker is IMHO the best bike for a kid his age to learn on. It's powerful enough to be useful but not so powerful that he can't control it. It's a great bike for anyone as a matter of fact. If all us MX guys would buy some clapped out 125 and practice with that, we'd be surprised with how fast and smooth we would ride when we jumped on our 450's on race day.

125 2 smoker is IMHO the best bike for a kid his age to learn on. It's powerful enough to be useful but not so powerful that he can't control it. It's a great bike for anyone as a matter of fact. If all us MX guys would buy some clapped out 125 and practice with that, we'd be surprised with how fast and smooth we would ride when we jumped on our 450's on race day.

I agree but it seems many are becoming so anti-smoker I stayed away from it.

Great bikes...

CRF230. I wouldn't have him get a race bike to start out with. Have him get a trail bike thats a lot more lenient to its maintenance schedule.

I agree but it seems many are becoming so anti-smoker I stayed away from it.

Great bikes...

A 125 2 stroke is the perfect starter bike. they are cheap to buy, cheap to maintain and are effective on the track, trails, desert whatever. If the kid decides riding isn't for him (doubtful) you don't have a huge amount of money invested.

CRF230. I wouldn't have him get a race bike to start out with. Have him get a trail bike thats a lot more lenient to its maintenance schedule.

Disagree. If the kid just wants to trail ride, then fine, but the last thing you want to do is spend that kind of money on an underpowered single purpose bike. A 14 yuear old kid with a head full of steam can outgrow that bike in months.

A 125 2 stroke is the perfect starter bike. they are cheap to buy, cheap to maintain and are effective on the track, trails, desert whatever. If the kid decides riding isn't for him (doubtful) you don't have a huge amount of money invested.

My thoughts exactly. I group the rideability of the 250 4 stroke with the 125 smoker, with less of a price tag. (~$1000 difference?)

Maintenance on a smoker is so much easier then the 250R my kid rides or my 450... "What's a valve?"

Thanks guys for confirming what I thought.

Disagree. If the kid just wants to trail ride, then fine, but the last thing you want to do is spend that kind of money on an underpowered single purpose bike. A 14 yuear old kid with a head full of steam can outgrow that bike in months.

No yeah i totally agree... i was just implying a thumper wouldn't be a good idea. complete noob + 250f + no basic maintenance skills = $caching$

But on the other hand a smoker would be great because you can use it all around, their cheap, reliable and all of the other reason stated above.

No yeah i totally agree... i was just implying a thumper wouldn't be a good idea. complete noob + 250f + no basic maintenance skills = $caching$

But on the other hand a smoker would be great because you can use it all around, their cheap, reliable and all of the other reason stated above.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: sorry, but i have to disagree. i wouldn't get a race bike for a begginer. get an old used trail bike for a month or two, until he learns how to ride, then get something like a 125 2 stroke or 250f.

:thumbsup: sorry, but i have to disagree. i wouldn't get a race bike for a begginer. get an old used trail bike for a month or two, until he learns how to ride, then get something like a 125 2 stroke or 250f.

:ride:

:ride:

:thumbsup: y'all think what u want but if he is totally new to riding, u don't want something he can't handle at first.

:thumbsup: y'all think what u want but if he is totally new to riding, u don't want something he can't handle at first.

Yea but you just stated what you didn't like, really didn't give an example of a better bike?

Old woods bike. Pretty vague don't ya think?