Sign in to follow this  

A few TE570 Street Legalization questions, and where to get black plastics?

Hey everyone,

Haven't posted for about a year. Last fall I bought a TE570 2002, and decided it was too much bike for me on the dirt. So I'm going to dual sport it instead. But I'm not entirely sure what the ins and outs are.

I was going to pop on a Baja Designs conversion, and Some Kenda K761 tires front and rear. (front: 90/90 21, rear: 120/80 18) My commute is city and only 7 miles or so.

Every so often I'll do a basic trail run, nothing harsh, just double track, dirt road touring kind of stuff, so I'm not overly worried about the tire choice.

Anyway on to the questions.

To street legalize it, is it as simple as slapping on a headlight, blinker kit, DOT approved tires, getting it safety inspected, then filling out an application for a new title: (Corrected title)?

These bikes aren't flagged for offroad use only!! period. Correct?

I had a Honda XR250, and just had the dealer that I bought it from put on a baja designs kit, and title it for me, so I didn't follow the process.

And the other question...

Where does one aquire the Black plastics like SMR 570s roll with? I'd rather have a black and silver bike than a Blue and Yellow bike... I don't hate Michigan state or anything... I just want to be cleaner :thumbsup:

Also is there any other things I should worry about with streeting this bike? I basically let it sit for 10 months, but had no problems getting it to start up. Just took me a minute to figure out, since they have their own starting style.

Also I'm located in Utah, if that makes a difference for getting it licensed. I know California is strict with EO numbers etc. but I don't think Utah is and the bike (under the number plate) says that it is equipped with a US emissions standard, low decible yadda yadda pipe. So I think the exhaust is street ready.

THANKS!!!

Richie

Every state has it's own requirements to street legalize bikes. In Colorado, all you need to do is add a headlight (no highbeam needed), a horn (bike horn is okay), a mirror (flip out Acerbis is okay), brake light (easy to rig to rear brake) and DOT tires. Oh, and a license plate.

Then, you sign a form at the DMV saying you did all that. No inspection of any kind.

Maybe Utah is similar.

As far as tire choices, I have a D606 front and Kenda 270(?) rear on a KLR650 and they work great. OTOH, I've heard that Kenda is not a good choice for a front tire, as the side wall is not stiff enough and you'll lose it fast if you get a front flat.

check out motoxoutlet.com they have some good prices on tires and are in orem. If you get this thing street legal shoot me an email stonecfn at yahoo. lets go rip it up. I'm tired of waiting for sportbikes on teh tight stuff and getting left behind on the highway.

Don't know how easy OEM stuff is to get hold off in USA, but I called the dealer here in Norway, and it would cost me somewhere around $450.

slcmuffinboi,

Where are you getting your Husky serviced in UT? I know Rimrock is gone, but not sure if anyone else is stepping up. I live in PC and also have an 02 TE570.

xacttech & slcmuffinboi,

Where are you getting your Husky serviced in UT? I know Rimrock is gone, but not sure if anyone else is stepping up. I live in PC and also have an 02 TE570.

Ironically, it is possible to get a plate in CA without actually having DOT tires on the bike. Baja Designs has made many people happy but I went with Trick Dual Sports. D606s work for me on my heavy DS.

You may want to check the Dual-Sport / Adventure section of TT for more info regarding your state, DS kits, and DOT tires.

Thanks for all the responses...

Currently I'm not getting my bike serviced anyway, but welcome any suggestions should anyone have information.

And as for Motoplastics, they don't carry a Radiator cover/Side Panel/Tank cover thingy for my bike which sucks cause it's the main piece I want to change. Fenders are the easy part. :thumbsup:

Ha... LOL...

Getting a bike street legalled in Utah is a Joke (for our benefit).

It entails this... Take your Title to the DMV, with a Safety inspection of the bike. The Joke portion comes from the safety inspection portion. The shop I took it to, gave it a once over, had me push the brake honk the horn and turn on the light, that's it. Didn't look over the bike much at all.

Here's what I added to the bike:

Brake light switch (just made one of the two stock tails into a brake operated light)

A Horn, with button.

Left Side mirror.

That's it. Apparently no signals are required (in utah) if the bike wasn't originally equipped with them. And I think these inspection houses just assume your tires are DOT approved. Because there was no checking them out.

After riding it around for a while I've decided, I'm going to add signals, cause I'm tired of being a dorky hand signaller, and I've always planned on some 80 street 20 off tires, for safety.

But if anyone has ever worried about getting your bike registered in utah for street, have no worries... I wouldn't be surprised if a CR250 two stroke could get registered. :thumbsup: