Sign in to follow this  

Paddle VS Pure Sand Tire

I was going to get a paddle for the dunes...but on the other hand if I get a pure sand tire I can use it in the Pismo Beach race later this year etc.

What is the best ama legal sand tire. I saw an ad somewhere for a tire that looked like a paddle almost (had scoops) but was legal for the beach races. but I forget the brand and name.

Any suggestions?

For the dunes, get a paddle tire. Only use a pure sand tire in a race where you have to (like the Pismo Beach WORCS). For paddle tires, I like the Turbo Paddle made by Kings Tire. They also make a matching front that also works very well. You can buy the set (or just the rear) from Motosport Outlet.

A Pirelli MT44 is my favorite AMA legal sand tire.

I want to run the Pismo race, thats why I was thinking going with the sand only tire.

This is the tire that I saw in the magazine (I forget which one). The review said that this tire was basically legal cheating for sand courses... The shop by my work is trying to order one for me.

Pirelli MXS

the review was in last months Motocross Action magazine. It was the Pirelli Scorpion MX Soft (replaced the MT410). it's only available in a 19" so unless you run 19" rear, you'd have to go for the next best thing which would be the MT44 rear. it's like a solid block version on the MXS, prior to some serious hand cutting. :thumbsup:

You can always get both. I found a used paddle tire on ebay for 10 bucks.