Sign in to follow this  

Where should I ride?

This weekend some friends and I were planning on riding Mt. View on Sunday. But, they are racing Sunday, and that is the only day my friends can go. I am not a big Brown's Camp fan, nothing is going on in Goldendale, and we are too slow for Albany. I was considering Longview MX but it is a constant dust bowl. Any thoughts without driving 2-3 hours away from Portland?

Hey Luke, I think you are stuck with Albany or Willamina or browns camp trails. I think Hindsight might be the only other track semi close.

I am thinking about going to Washougal on the 16th with some friends. The track looks awesome...especially after being there this weekend and seeing the races.

Damn Jason, please go to Washougal on the 16th. I want to go, but none of my normal riding buddies can go. DPW is a maybe but that is it. Where is Willamina? Is there a trail system there?

This weekend some friends and I were planning on riding Mt. View on Sunday. But, they are racing Sunday, and that is the only day my friends can go. I am not a big Brown's Camp fan, nothing is going on in Goldendale, and we are too slow for Albany. I was considering Longview MX but it is a constant dust bowl. Any thoughts without driving 2-3 hours away from Portland?

Have you been to Albany lately? They are running (3) classes: Big Bike Slow, Big Bike Fast and Women/Mini. They smoothed out some of the big jumps that they've had in the past. I think it's a pretty fun track.

Are you looking for MX or trail riding?

Preferrably MX, but I am open to 'good trails'. I know, ones definition of good is not anothers. I am not a fan of Brown's Camp. A couple years ago (ok 5) I did a Hare Scramble at McCubbins Gulch? It was a great area, but I barely remember where it was much less which trails might be good once I get there.

For some trail riding, I would suggest Upper Nestucca area (Grassy Flats/Elk Flats).

Is this the same area as Whipup...if so that is where I rode on Saturday? It was my first time and was not to bad...I don't have much other trail riding experience to compare it to...so fun for me might be crap for others.

As for location it is 8 to 9 miles outside of willamina...I Can't be anymore specific at the moment, don't really know the area and I was following a friend.

Damn Jason, please go to Washougal on the 16th. I want to go, but none of my normal riding buddies can go. DPW is a maybe but that is it. Where is Willamina? Is there a trail system there?

Right now I am pretty sure I am going on the 16th...Looks like a few other friends might be going also so should be a great time. I just wish I was not so slow and sucked/scared so much at jumping :thumbsup: .

I am thinking about going to Mt view again next Tuesday...or some friends are looking at going to Hoodo/Big Lake area and riding...which sounds fun but I want to work on my MX skills---well okay try to acquire some MX skills :ride:

So if you are free on Tuesday I might be up for meeting you at Mt. View. Wish I were off this weekend I love to ride then too.

Jason

Speedracer42, I'll be at Riverdale raceway saturday or sunday. www.riverdaleraceway.com

It's only 9 exits past Longview.

I found the website and it looks ok. But me and my friend are better beginner to slow junior speed and one or two of the guys going are true beginners. How is the track technically? How is the dirt? Lots of dust, hard pack?

Right now I am pretty sure I am going on the 16th...Looks like a few other friends might be going also so should be a great time. I just wish I was not so slow and sucked/scared so much at jumping :thumbsup: .

I am thinking about going to Mt view again next Tuesday...or some friends are looking at going to Hoodo/Big Lake area and riding...which sounds fun but I want to work on my MX skills---well okay try to acquire some MX skills :ride:

So if you are free on Tuesday I might be up for meeting you at Mt. View. Wish I were off this weekend I love to ride then too.

Jason

You need to ride Washougal for sure! It is not nearly as technical as Mt. View and is pretty friendly to beginners. The whoops are BY FAR the hardest part of the track. As for Mt. View on Tuesday, it is nearly impossible for me to get off early enough to go ride, but let me know if you go and I will drive out to watch. Just FYI the track changed alot and is more technical than before.

Whipup is the 3rd Staging area up there. If you are heading from Portland (depending on how you get there), Whipup is the last of them. From Portland, you can head out through Newberg or McMinnville and through Carlton. If you get on Meadow Lake Rd. in Carlton, it will take you nearly the whole way. Between Carlton and the Upper Nestucca Rec area, you will start seeing mile markers. Just past 10 (and not too far beyond the sign entering Upper Nestucca Rec area), you take a left. It's a sweeping turn that doubles back and goes up the hill. If you go straight, you will start to go back down. Follow the 1-2 lane road up. Grassy Flats is first, then Elk Flats, then Whipup, as far as the official staging areas go.

I found the website and it looks ok. But me and my friend are better beginner to slow junior speed and one or two of the guys going are true beginners. How is the track technically? How is the dirt? Lots of dust, hard pack?

The track is pretty technical, it's like a sand/dirt mixture. I was there about a month ago and they had people watering all day. It has a lot of table tops and doubles, but there is some smaller stuff too. I'm like slow junior speed and it's fun but hard to get in a rythm if you're like me and don't like going for the big jumps.

You guys would probably have fun out there but I don't know about the true beginner... If you're taking a newb out than longview mx is the place to go.