Sign in to follow this  

before the race, what do you do?

i have a race coming up and i am 16, a rookie and a first timer. i know we need to change oils and clean air filters and change tires. am i missing anything here, my bike is wr250f.

1. full suspension service. Clean oils in shock and suspension are a must if you are going to go racing. Mine get changed every three months regardless.

2. Suspension linkage? When was the last time that you greased it? Bearings? very little slop or lots of slop?

3. Steering head bearings? When did you grease them last?

4. Any parts that need replacing? Stuff that is not factory will fail when you go racing.

5. Clutch? WR250 is a cluch using machine to go fast on? Last time was replaced? Factory is better.

Just some thoughts.

James

Your gunna race a WR? I would check to see if they will even let you race that bike.. they dont let woods bikes race in my district

Remove your kickstand!

Most places won't let you race with it because of the potential of it coming down during flight. Makes me squint thinking of what the carnage would be while landing a double with the kickstand down...

thanks guys, and i dont know if they will let me but the rule book said it can, i am racing as a ama membership so i guess yes i can race with wr.

The day/night before you should give your bike a good head to toe service. Make it as perfect as you know how. Then start hydrating you body and eat a good dinner of pasta. Carbs are the enemy if you are watching your weight but they give you energy when you need it.

When at the races walk the track and study it HARD. Look for places to pass and places you might be passed. Stay hydrated and keep the bike in perfect shape. Lube the chain and adjust i if need be, gas up enough to do your moto plus a lap or two, check tire pressure, check cables, CHECK, CHECK.......CHECK.

Watch the races before yours to get an idea of changing track conditions. Keep constant track of which moto is yours. Hit the portapotti before you bring your bike up to the line. When picking a close pin, pick from the bottom. At the start, imagine getting the holeshot and what you would do if you did. Then get it and race your arse off!

Man, a person could write a book on this stuff! The most important part is TO HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

oh one more thing, what is the best psi tire pressure for good tractions?

The harder the dirt the more pressure you should run............anywhere from 11-15 lbs but usually around 12-13 will work fine. :thumbsup:

The day/night before you should give your bike a good head to toe service. Make it as perfect as you know how. Then start hydrating you body and eat a good dinner of pasta. Carbs are the enemy if you are watching your weight but they give you energy when you need it.

When at the races walk the track and study it HARD. Look for places to pass and places you might be passed. Stay hydrated and keep the bike in perfect shape. Lube the chain and adjust i if need be, gas up enough to do your moto plus a lap or two, check tire pressure, check cables, CHECK, CHECK.......CHECK.

Watch the races before yours to get an idea of changing track conditions. Keep constant track of which moto is yours. Hit the portapotti before you bring your bike up to the line. When picking a close pin, pick from the bottom. At the start, imagine getting the holeshot and what you would do if you did. Then get it and race your arse off!

Man, a person could write a book on this stuff! The most important part is TO HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Great advice! :ride:

dont forget tearoffs and i eat a banana.

Indeed! I trew my google 3 times in one day at the flagger at the 1st jump because I couldn't see shit. :thumbsup: I'll go get some tear-off for the next race. :ride:

dont forget tearoffs and i eat a banana.

Yes.. Never underestimate the power of the "Mighty Banana" :thumbsup:

Yes.. Never underestimate the power of the "Mighty Banana" :thumbsup:

LOL, yes that's the best thing to eat before/after a moto because of the Potassium level.

Make sure your WRF's suspension is modified. Have you gotten a revalve for motocross? The stock stuff is so soft you will bottom over the smallest of jumps. Good luck!

Don't drink too much water RIGHT before the moto or else you will need to pee which leads to discomfort. Also visualize the moto in your head. eat light, avoid burgers and that garbage. just have fun

Try and put a fresh plug in every race.

before u worry about ur bike. u better get ur mind right. mental health is a big part of this sport.

Go over your bike with a magnifying glass. Have your tools, oils, and spare parts ready. DO NOT forget to go over your riding gear. make sure it's in good shape, clean, and is all in your gear bag (nothing worse than showing up without your boots or helmet). Place everything near the bike so you don't forget it when you load up, and most important, RIDE SAFE and HAVE FUN!!! :thumbsup::ride::applause::applause::applause: