Sign in to follow this  

Sprocket Size ?

Have an 06 CRF450R - Would someone who has gone to a 12 tooth counter shaft sprocket (and stayed with the stock 48 tooth rear) comment on their riding experience. I'm also interested in knowing whether there were any negative impacts with the 12 tooth size and non-oring chain.

Unless you are riding slow single track and other slow riding, I have no idea why you would want a 12 tooth counter sproket. On an MX track 1st is already worthless, with a 12tooth counter 2nd would be about usless too. And on the 5th gear straights everyone will be blowing by you. Why do you want to gear down that much?

This would be for tight single track Hill Climbs. Changing the counter shaft rather than the rear sprocket would be easier and faster. Only about 10 percent of the riding is done on a track. Most of the time it's off road.

Sure, many people have switched to a 12 tooth for trail riding. Just be aware that you'll probably see accelerated wear on the chain slider because of the reduced circumference of the 12 tooth vs. the 13 tooth.

You sure really get yourself a good o-ring chain though.

Thanks NorCal... just wanted to be sure there wouldn't be any interference with the case. I know it'll shorten the slider life for sure. Going this route seems to make more sense rather than going up 2 or 3 teeth in the back (50 or 51). A lot of riding is done at Carnegie and a 50 tooth on the back quite often just isn't enough to deal with the steep technical hills.