Sign in to follow this  

250 or 450?

I'm wanting to get back into riding, and have decided to get either a TE250 or 450. I'm leaning a little more towards the 250, but I'm not sure if it will do all I need. I don't guess that weight is really an issue, since there is only about 7 lbs dry weight difference between the two. Anyway, I'm 5'9 and #160 lbs, and will be doing about 90 to 95% off road riding. The only time I'll street ride is to get to the trail or possibly run up to the store every once in a while. A friend of mine brought up the point that if I ride in high elevations, the 250 might not have enough grunt when the air gets thinner. Is this something to be concerned about? Are these two bikes the same frame, etc, just different motors? I'd prefer to have something that I can throw around pretty easily, is handling much different between the two?

thanks for any input.

I've always been afraid of 250 (2smokes) because of all of the loopouts and near misses everytime I rode one. However I don't find the power of the 450s intimidating or uncontrolable at all. I love my yz 125 and when I ride the 250Fs it feels like they are underpowered. Not that I am faster on the 125 it just feels like more power would be welcome. and the 450s are a blast on the track they don't feel heavy or slugish at all. I would say go 450. Ofcourse the best thing to do would be turn a few laps on each if possible.

go for the 450,thats would id do if i were you.the frames and handling should be pretty much the same although id imagin the 250 would be easier to throw around but the power of the 450 is very controllable but more powerful and faster then the 250 and and 450 also has great handling,comfortable, and easy to ride and wont get you tired fast.

At your size, the 450 will tire you out a lot quicker than the 250. Are there any high elevations in Texas?

I am your height and weight and I also have both a 250 and a 450. If you can only have one bike get the 450. It has tons of easy to control power and is my pick right now for trail riding, even tight steep trails. The torque is unreal.

Since the 450's are sold out, unless you want to wait for a while for the '07's to come out you will end up with a 250.

Based on your size, that will be PLENTY of Bike for you.

Thanks for the replies. As far as elevation in Texas, you'd have to go pretty far out west to find anything significant (Big Bend). My job keeps me on the road a lot, so I get to see all kinds of terrain and elevations. That, and some friends have talked about taking a week or so to ride the mountains in Colorado in the near future.

That said, I have a dealer near my parents house that gave me a price on the phone of $5400 for an '06 TE 250. Does that sound like a decent price? Other than that, I have found a used '06 250 with low miles that sounds pretty good. I've called dealers from Massachusetts to Arizona, no 450's to be found anywhere. If I go that route, I'll either wait til the '07's are out or buy a used '06 if I can find one.

thanks again for the opinions.

That said, I have a dealer near my parents house that gave me a price on the phone of $5400 for an '06 TE 250. Does that sound like a decent price?

That is an awesome price for the 250. Make sure it is a 2006 and not a 2005. The 2005s are not EPA certified. :thumbsup:

That said, I have a dealer near my parents house that gave me a price on the phone of $5400 for an '06 TE 250.

I would want an Out The Door price. Some dealers charge for all kinds of things. I believe $6300 was the msrp.

Too bad you can't test ride the te250 & te450 and see which you like better.

If $5,400 is out the door price it's outstanding. Actually, I think anything less than msrp is pretty good considering how f'ing awesome the new huskys are.

Doesn't this topic scream TE325????? Whichever manufacturer makes a bike that splits the difference between a 250 and 450 first will sell a bunch of them.

Greg

Doesn't this topic scream TE325????? Whichever manufacturer makes a bike that splits the difference between a 250 and 450 first will sell a bunch of them.

Greg

With a very tall 6th gear :thumbsup:

You are the perfect size for the 250. Unless you like to drag race or love to ride wheelies the 250 would be a great bike for you. If you are wanting it for dualsport, the bigger bike would also be better.

For the tighter technical stuff the 250 is a little better. Riding the Red River trails, the 250 is a great bike even for a big guy like me.

Good luck! Either bike is a good choice. They both handle well.

I'll second that. I have a 2004 TE250, and on the trail it's just awesome. The powerplant is awesome, great hit. Lofting the front end is no problem in 1st or 2nd when you are in mid RPM, and if you need to lift the wheel over a log, the overbuilt racing clutch will readily pop up the front end from a standstill. Since the bike shares most components witht the 450, most of the bike is overbuilt, which makes it more robust. (same chain/sprockets, etc). Boiling over is less of an issue in the trail as well...

All the 250 needs is an overdrive 6th,if you do more open riding the 450 can be geared up,not so the 250 as 1st is quite high a gear.One of the locals has an auto clutch on his 250 and he has gone up 1 tooth and it will climb a wall and cruise easier at speed.

I absolutely love my 250 but it revs too hard in transport sections over 90kph.

What is actual weight weight, without gas, on both of these bikes ?

Dwight

The real weight for a TE450 is right around 260 pounds (according to Dirt Bike) with the 250 probably ten pounds lighter.

Greg

Mine will do easy 120ks but thats not cruising,its comfortable at 85 but anymore and its reving too hard for me.