Sign in to follow this  

Has this break-in thing gone too far?

don't do the recommended break in or else your rings will not seat :thumbsup:

First, this is the only major motor vehicle board I've visited that is so gung ho on this 'ride it like you stole it' idea. Either you guys are the absolute smartest people around and everyone else are idiots... or there is certainly more than one way to properly break in a motor.

Lately many of you act as if it is not possible to seat rings with the manufacturer recommended break in procedures? Since there is a dang good percentage of people who do follow conventional break in rules, are they all riding around and driving vehicles without seated rings... I just can't imagine that. Maybe all those people just had dumb luck and only a few 'ruined' their engines because they didn't pin it wide open the first five minutes they owned it?

Plus, if you do the 'ride it like you stole it' method, isn't it pretty important to follow heat cycles and change the oil several times in the process? Anymore around here, I just here this pin it wide open and your good to go attitude.

It just seems surprising that on any other board this would be a mighty controversial topic, yet around here... its blasphemy to suggest anything but.

[of course, this is the only place I've seen so many people change their oil after every ride too.]

For the record, I'm not necessarily knocking the method... but isn't there more to it than just pin it open from the start?

Apparently new bikes are ridden this way at the factory - wide open in all gears, right after final assembly. And car engines too.

The apparent reason the manufacturer suggests otherwise is two fold

1) to avoid liability for people who ride a brand new motorcycle and crash it (the manuafacturer said to "ride it wide open")

2) to sell more bikes, parts, and service, as easy break-in may makes engines wear out faster.

It's not that the motor doesn't run with an easy break-in, it just doesn't run as well as it could. He says the leakage from improper ring sealing contaminates the oil with acids, etc. - this does the engine damage earlier than with no leakage. The site was a compelling read for me, athough wading through all the out of box stuff is annoying after awhile.

This guy is an automotive engineer, who works with engines daily, and sees new car engines broken in the same way. The procedure, btw, starts at less than wide open throttle, and works up.

Bob

I broke mine in factory, because I didn't find anything about this until after the breakin period was over. My bike has never given me any trouble and the rings have to be seated.

I think that this forum is full of very smart and knowledgeable people, all of them with tons of experience sharing with us for free. The thing that drives me crazy :ride: sometimes is that everyone just assumes that whatever anyone says is the way it should be. Don't get me wrong I love that fact that when I did my re-jet and had issues a few PMs with Eddie (then Burned) it was resolved.

Bottom line is that the DRZ is very tough and there are flaws in the bike (just like every other one). They are all documented here and fortunately for us the fixes are as well.

Before my grandfather passed he said to me something that I now say way too much, "opinions are like :thumbsup: holes, everybody has one and most of the time they stink"

Take the knowledge from this forum, tons of it by the way, and use it to suit your needs. If you screw up something there are tons of guy here to help you fix it or fix it for you.

Just my 2 cents on that.... :cry:

But to answer your questions yes that quote is a little too far by itself, in context maybe not but probably would scare people into thinking that the factory is wrong telling you how to break in the bike.... :ride:

To add I am not knocking the method, its just not the only one.

but isn't there more to it than just pin it open from the start?

I think the most important thing is to vary the rpms and speed. Riding at the same rpm and speed for half the break in period is bad. While I don't exactly follow the recommended break-in as far as rpms go, i don't totally disagree with what the manufacturer recommends. What I do disagree with is waiting untill 600 miles to do the first oil change. I think it needs 3 changes by then.

Here is one of the biggest concerns for me as relates to motor break in and for those of us that may not think of it. When everyone is breaking in a new bike, no matter the method chosen, they are usually breaking in new tires!! Now it may not matter on a dirt machine, or on the dyno, but on the street aggressive riding on fresh tires can get you hurt!! As they say knowledge is power. Consider this SMr's. :thumbsup:

Has this break in thing gone to far???? in the respect that people insist on continuing to bring it up for arguments sake...yes. Notice that the more senior and experience members of this forum have stopped responding... they get tired of beating the same horse. The end answer is always break it in as you see fit, nobody is riding your bike but yourself......and look at the log on rate of the other forums....you are going to receive more immediate "opinions" on a forum that has an increased attendance rate of it's members. I don't see that as a bad thing :thumbsup:

thats not what its all about.

Which is in a nutshell, exactly the point I'm trying to make. I've seen several posters in the last few weeks that are simply suggesting, 'ride it like you stole it'... with no other information. There is a lot more than simply 'ride it like you stole it' in my opinion.

And for the record, I'm not trying to step on you or any other knoweldgable people around here... I just see too many jumping on the bandwagon without ALL the knowledge.

The end answer is always break it in as you see fit

Correct, and my fear is that some newbie is going to come here and read one thread that simply says, 'ride it like you stole it' without enough knowledge to really understand what other things need to be done if you plan to break it in that way.

Exactly, and as "MutualBill" stated...what is it exactly that you want to be told? :ride: ...there is a thing called...."Too much information". What I interpet from the experinced TT members that actually tear down and build these motors on a continuing basis, is to ride your bike :cry: ...vary your speed for the first hr or so, change your oil, and check your valves. With that it should all be good :thumbsup: FYI- I have heard the "ride it like you stole it" on more than one forum...I prefer WFO.

what is it exactly that you want to be told?

My only point is that if you plan to break in a motor hard there is a lot more to it than just beating the piss out of it. In the last few weeks their seem to be a lot of threads that I've read in regards to break in and invariably someone chimes in with 'ride it like you stole it' as their only offer of advice.

I think this is a bit misleading... and I'd hate to see someone put trust in this forum only to later find out there is more to it than just 'riding it like you stole it'.

So, to answer the whole... what are you fishing for... if you are one of the poeple that does this... take the time to tell the whole story... maybe put a link to mototune method and let them make an informed decisions with all the variables for them to see... rather than simply say, "ride it like you stole it".

My views on break in are well documented here on this forum. I've been breaking engines in that way before there was the internet let alone TT. They are based on personal experience and I stand behind them.

If anyone has any other questions feel free to pm me and we can discuss it that way.

My only point is that if you plan to break in a motor hard there is a lot more to it than just beating the piss out of it. In the last few weeks their seem to be a lot of threads that I've read in regards to break in and invariably someone chimes in with 'ride it like you stole it' as their only offer of advice.

I think this is a bit misleading... and I'd hate to see someone put trust in this forum only to later find out there is more to it than just 'riding it like you stole it'.

So, to answer the whole... what are you fishing for... if you are one of the poeple that does this... take the time to tell the whole story... maybe put a link to mototune method and let them make an informed decisions with all the variables for them to see... rather than simply say, "ride it like you stole it".

When did I ever say to "ride it like you stole it"???

I've seen plenty of links to the Mototune break in method and I've only been poking around on here for a month or so. If someone reads one post on break in, logs off their computer, and goes for it, then that's their less than intelligent decision. You can't protect people from themselves all the time!

When did I ever say to "ride it like you stole it"???

I never said you did... your quote was simply the one that got my attention enough to start this thread.

[i considered making a post in the other thread and decided to simply start a new one with my newest rant... which is why I inlcluded your quote, I can remove it if you wish.]

I think the hard break-in is even more important for Honda CRF owners. With less than 1 quart of oil in the crank case, it's imperative that you do what you can to minimize oil loss.

Riding WFO is not the answer either. The idea is to maximize cylinder pressures so that the rings are pushed against the cylinder, letting them seat better.

You can accomplish this without hitting 11,000rpm. Full throttle acceleration and short-shifting, IMO, is the key. Also varying speed is important.

I broke my '04 CRF250X in that way, and it never used any oil. I think the first 20 miles are super important.

I did the same with my DRZ, and it is doing fine. I do not believe in bouncing the bike off the rev-limiter until it has at least 600-1000 miles on it.

But hey, everyone has their own methods and opinions. This is my $.02.

The only one here talking about or ever mentioning the act of beating the piss out of a motor is you! I you can't comprehend the advise given on this forum..then I'm sorry.

***I've seen plenty of links to the Mototune break in method and I've only been poking around on here for a month or so. If someone reads one post on break in, logs off their computer, and goes for it, then that's their less than intelligent decision. You can't protect people from themselves all the time!

I also second this statement. There is enough info and debate already about this subject that somebody should be able to make a mature decision as to which method the choose to use. If they ride and maintain their bike like a bone head...then that's their problem!

I think the only thing you were fishing for here was an argument :thumbsup: ....hope your happy! I'm out.

Let me know when you guys see an auto, bike, motorcycle, airplane, string trimmer, scooter, lawn mower manufacturer recommending "ride it like you stole it" break in method. Let alone listen to some shade tree mechanic on the web called mototune man.

Jeesh.....

Ron W.