Sign in to follow this  

Skid plate

Does anyone have drawings with dimesnions so that I can make my own skidplate (havn't got the AUD$160.00 for a new one). If not couldsome one post two pictures (one from the top and one from the side) of a skidplate for an XR4. If possible please put a 6" ruler in the frame so I have a point of reference in cutting/welding my own.

Rgds,

Meatbomb.......

The aluminium heavy duty one from CRD International is very impressive, it also wraps around the front of the cases too.

The only 'extra' mod I did was to drill a 12 m.m. hole in the lowest front corner, helps drain cruddy water out!

Hope this is of use.

Regards, Nick.

I ordered up the TT one sunday... hasn't shipped yet, something is on backorder... as usual. Every time i order something, it gets delayed or the part i really need is on backorder and i don't get it for a long time... doesn't help it's gonna take a week to get here after it ships.

Does anyone have drawings with dimesnions so that I can make my own skidplate (havn't got the AUD$160.00 for a new one). If not couldsome one post two pictures (one from the top and one from the side) of a skidplate for an XR4. If possible please put a 6" ruler in the frame so I have a point of reference in cutting/welding my own.

Rgds,

Meatbomb.......

Just get a piece of cardboard and bend it and have a friend hold it up under your bike while you draw on it with a sharpie where you want to cut it. Then cut it with scissors and you have a pattern to transfer to your 1/4 inch aluminum stock. Then bend it to fit under your scooter. I used one made like this for years you can see it in "My Garage". My wife bought me a Works Connection unit for Xmas last year or I would still be using it. If you cut the center bar out of the stock crash bar you can still use the side bars for side impact protection. I used the top portion of an old set of handlebar clamps to attach to the frame beneath and a longer bolt in the front mounting hole of the crash bar set-up for attaching it. It is simple we have been known to make our own sharkfins and chain guides this way also.

Just get a piece of cardboard and bend it and have a friend hold it up under your bike while you draw on it with a sharpie where you want to cut it. Then cut it with scissors and you have a pattern to transfer to your 1/4 inch aluminum stock. Then bend it to fit under your scooter. I used one made like this for years you can see it in "My Garage". My wife bought me a Works Connection unit for Xmas last year or I would still be using it. If you cut the center bar out of the stock crash bar you can still use the side bars for side impact protection. I used the top portion of an old set of handlebar clamps to attach to the frame beneath and a longer bolt in the front mounting hole of the crash bar set-up for attaching it. It is simple we have been known to make our own sharkfins and chain guides this way also.

Nice looking bike!

Good advice; I will do the cardboard thing and weld some side wings for side protection. Will post the plans for those bothered to make their own.

Thanks mate.

Nice looking bike!

Good advice; I will do the cardboard thing and weld some side wings for side protection. Will post the plans for those bothered to make their own.

Thanks mate.

Thanks, sometimes it is better to make your own parts if you are capable. Back in the eighties my buddies and I used to make alot of different parts for our XR's like chainguides,fender braces,sharkfins,master cylinder guards,bark busters,skidplates,aluminum kickstands,upper handlebar clamps,etc,etc. Makes you pride filled when folks say thats badass where did you get it, and you tell them it is a one off made by me.

I have a NOS one from Moose. It is thick aluminum and so far bulletproof! Putting it on was a bit of a pain, the welded mounts were slightly off.

Utah sport cycle from rocky mountain MC

I have the same skid plate from Baja Designs.

Others have the same skid plate from Moose.

They are a good design and bullet proof.

Just get use to a little engine noise reflecting back up at you.

Also, the loud clank of it stopping a rock headed for the frame, cases and other engine parts. :thumbsup:

One thing I did have to do to mine is add a piece of closed cell foam between the plate and the frame. I went over a log when I first got my plate and it bent it so it just touched the rear part of the frame. At certin RPMs it buzzed like crazy. Every once in a while I still need to pry down the read corner when I case it hard.