Sign in to follow this  

Attn: Dr. Mark or anyone familair with ankle fractures

Two weeks ago I crashed into a berm, making a rookie mistake, and landing akwardly on my ankle. I then went to the emergency room, and then to an orthopedist and was diagnosed with an ankle fracture. I cant remember the exact details, and my orthopedist is currently hanging onto my x-rays, but he said he wanted to see me in 4 weeks for another x-ray, and he said two weeks, which would be today, I should be able to walk without crutches. When I went to him, he took the existing splint off and gave me a boot that I can take off at night. My question is where should I be with this healing process. It has been two weeks, and I can tellyou today I took the boot off, walked about ten-fifteen steps with no help, awkardlly, and I wouldnt use painful to describe it, just more as different and uncomfortable. I also did some calf raises with my own body weight, and was able to move up and down, but I can definitly notice my left, which was the fractured one, noticably weaker. So where does that leave me, should I continue with teh akward feeling of walking, along with ice and pain killers, or shoudl I stay totally off it. Also, how long am I looking at riding again. I seen Dr, Mark tell someone previously on here that two weeks and he would be out again, is it too soon?? Any help would be appreciated.

oooo and if it means anything, healing wise, i am 21 years old, 5'10 and 180

Dr. Mark- The last x-ray I took was the day of the accident, two weeks ago. And that xray is in the hands of the orthopedic, as he asked I leave it with him so he can compare it to a final xray perhaps. Im asking in general, at two weeks, 90 percent of the swelling went down, and today I attempted to walk on it, and did so with little pain, and a feeling of akwardness. Do you believe, it is indeed to soon, with a tight mx boot to ride?

If you are still broken it is too soon to ride. I had a spiral lower fibula fracture and I could walk on it ackwardly after one week, but it was far from healed.

Be careful and make sure you obey doctors orders.