Sign in to follow this  

Supermoto for beginners...questions

I was thinking supermoto seems cool.

I was watching it on OLN the other night, I noted an older guy who seems to be a badass...#3 I think...I take it from looking at him, that this is a sport you can stay competitive in at old ages??

Relative to racing, what are the typical classes? I would hope there is a serious beginner only class...like for those who don't even know how to slide around a corner...

Big question: how do you PRACTICE for supermoto? I mean all that sliding and aggressive driving, I don't know where you would practice that...?

Can you just bolt on some slicks on to a 450 and get 'er done?

Special suspension needs?

Do you gear the bike high for it?

the series i race in on the east coast has many classes including a beginner and a vet 35+ and vet 45+.

hopefully a gocart track in your area will let supermotards practice, if not it's to the parking lots

you should get some 17's for your bike but you don't need slicks, common sportbike tires will work too as well as super moto specific tires.

sunspension would need to be tightened up a bit, lowered in the back a little too helps

gearing the bike depends on the bike and the track.

#3x is Jeff Ward-google him so l won't blather on about what a bad-ass he is.

If you went to go out and totally kick ass, you'll probably get a better dollar-to-kicked-ass ratio by spending your money on an American Supercamp than on bike mod's

practice? disused airports, carparks, anywhere wif good wide open tarmac.....ya need a 320 disc aswell normal mx disc just don't just it and u will boil ur brake fluid in 5mins...

It depends on the area but some race groups have a Sportsman class that only allows stock off road bikes with smooth 21 and whatever rear tires. It's a great intro class.