Sign in to follow this  

2003 XR650R a good base for beginner Motard?

I have a buddy who just bought a '06 WR450F for his trail bike, and is looking to sell his '03 650R.

He has a hot cam, exhaust, etc on it, and it seems to be trick.

Would that be a good base for a beginner motard bike?

What's a good price for it?

what do you mean by beginner motard bike? will this be your first bike ever or your first motard?

That's definitely too much bike for a beginner ...

what's your buddy's phone number? :ride:

But seriously, this would be a great bike for road riding & scaring the gixxr- boys at your local rr track.

It'd be quite a hand-full though at a Kart track or smaller, supermoto specific-track if there's any such thing in your neighborhood.

The XR sounds like a total blast, l'd hate to say any thing to keep you from getting it. BUT, all you really need to get a taste for supermoto is to put some road tires on the bike you're got & run the Sportsman class!

:thumbsup:

I'm not telling don't buy the XR650, (sometimes a good deal is too good to pass up).

Just a suggestion, but maybe an XR100/CRF150 with a tire swap might be a good way to learn with a much lower chance of killing yourself and a fairly cheap way to start. If you can make it street legal, I think that is where that 650 will do best.

Good luck

ok sounds good...

I'm not a total newbie at riding, just at riding a motard...I race my '05 CRF450R in harescrambles: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/867718/15119527-5.8.06385-2.JPG

I do the best on wider/faster courses...the ultra tight stuff, i'm just not as good, could be the bike though...I'm a strong B class, or mid-pack A-racer...

I've got a street bike background as well...my last bike was a 2003 Honda Superhawk 1000....occasionally on it my backend would break loose with agressive downshifting or braking...didn't make me tooo nervous...

I think my bud would take 2500 for the XR (from me)...prolly low 3's from a stranger.

His roommate (brokeback?) also has one..it might be a '02...they originally got matching 650's, then they got matching WR's after getting a little schoolin' when we all went trail riding together...we're in arkansas if anyone wants to ask them about the bikes...i'm not tryin' to bogart the action or anything...PM me for contact info..

Sounds like a an extra set of wheels might be where it's at, at first...

The 650R makes a great and dependable first motard, just be careful, it is going to cost you more money than you think to SM it. Plan on between $2,000 and $3,000

....I'm not a total newbie at riding, just at riding a motard...I race my '05 CRF450R in harescrambles .....

In that case the answer is "yes"... :thumbsup: