Sign in to follow this  

bent front end!!! help please!!!

I lent my bike to my friend, as the story goes a couple of threads down.

But this morning was the first time I rode it, and I noticed that my right hand was a little further out then my left hand. Upon further inspection, I realized that the evrything is cocked to the left (tire, handle bars, suspension etc...)

How do I go about getting it straight. Any help would be great. :thumbsup:

You sure it isn't just the bars. They will bend under intense sunlight. No need to lay it over. Their really soft. You can easily bend them back by turning your wheel and push them back into place. Or use a cheater bar.

It is usually just a twisted front end. Loosen up all the triple clamp bolts/screws. Get in the front with the wheel between your legs and straighten it. If you can have someone sit on it, so it is verticle, it is easier to see if it is straight (maybe the jackass that crashed it?). Give it the big old hairy eyeball check and if it looks straight it is. Tighten the hardware and ride. Note the clamp hardware has very low torque specs. It will twist very easily in any dump.

It is usually just a twisted front end. Loosen up all the triple clamp bolts/screws. Get in the front with the wheel between your legs and straighten it. If you can have someone sit on it, so it is verticle, it is easier to see if it is straight (maybe the jackass that crashed it?). Give it the big old hairy eyeball check and if it looks straight it is. Tighten the hardware and ride. Note the clamp hardware has very low torque specs. It will twist very easily in any dump.

I will give it a try, thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

This happens to me off road sometimes after a hard spill. You can push back straight without loosening the T-Clamp bolts. Stand in front of the bike with the tire between your legs an give the bars a pull in the direction they should be. :thumbsup:

Sight across the fork tubes from the side. If they are not parallel, the triple clamps have twisted. Rather than use brute force to straighten, it is much better to loosen the triple clamp bolts first, then with the front tire between your legs turn the bars until the fork tubes are perfectly parallel.