Sign in to follow this  

Cisco Grove-Fordyce-Sterling-White rock?

Howdy y’all,

I’m going to be riding up near Cisco Grove on Sunday, trying to get to White Rock lake on the north side of I80.

Anybody ever take this trip that can provide some input on possibility/difficulty?

Topo’s show it might be possible to go like this:

From Cisco grove, take Fordyce road (near signal peak)

to Sterling lake, then around south west corner of

Fordyce lake to a 4WD trail that leads to Meadow lake

and Meadow lake road. From there it should be easy to

get to White rock lake.

There seems to be a small break in that path, so I don’t know if it really exists.

(Now, I have done the Rubicon, but we’re not prepared for that level of difficulty this wknd)

Thanks for any info! D

And an FYI, there’s a MotoTrial going on at Donner ski ranch this wknd, some of the nations best should be there do that amazing stuff they do:

http://sactopits.org/flyers/eltrialflyer.pdf

(hey morningrider, I see you’ve got similar questions, maybe I’ll see you up there Sunday? Anybody else in the area?)

(And yup, my first post.

I’ve seen lots o’ good info on this forum, maybe I can add to it at some point!)

did this last fall. Its all easy riding. Just dirt roads

Thanks for the info.

My riding buddy recovering from shoulder surgery will appreciate it (the "just dirt roads").

Of course, my KLR with Avon Gripsters probably isn't up for much more than dirt roads, either... how sad. Just a scouting trip.

we'll be there Saturday, look for a Husaberg and a TTR, Grey Tundra, red dog.

i thought he was gold, Bb, where are you staging?

i thought he was gold, Bb, where are you staging?

see the other post, looking to stage in a good spot for boomer and some Brats BBq at lunch, maybe hang out with RockHounder, ya want to join us? want a Brat? YG is taking orders for food.

did this last fall. Its all easy riding. Just dirt roads

Shadyatbest: i'm not sure if you misunderstood, or i missed something, but we sure didn't find your "just dirt roads" on the route i was suggesting.

Here's what we found, for those who might be interested:

from Cisco grove campground (forest road 85) then turn to sterling lake: easy dirt road that dead ends to the lake. We found no other trails from there.

Just past the Sterling lake turn-off, you can take a road to the left leads to Signal peak (at the top, don't forget to take the trail to the end of the ridge where the old look-out building is).

If you don't turn off to Sterling lake or Signal peak, you end up at Fordyce lake. This road is a bit more challenging than "just a dirt road" becuase of all the loose rock, but really not too bad.

If you continue past the green building at Fordyce, you reach the dead end just past the fordyce damn.

If instead you make the left turn just before the grn building, you're on the half way "escape" trail from the famous (infamous?) fordyce jeep trail. The "escape" trail was more than we we're ready for (have I mentioned the KLR650 with street tires part?)

If you do make it down to the Fordyce jeep trail, good luck!

Sorry I didn't happen to run into any of you others out there (we didn't have much time to look for yall).

anywho, we found some other good trail, from the short pierce loop trail (sun) to the old rr tunnels above donner lake (fri), where we somehow found our way to coldstream canyon and donner state park (there was one nasty short little hill climb after you leave the tunnels, go over the tunnel, and climb toward donner peak. whew.)

can’t wait to go back for some more exploring.