Sign in to follow this  

'02 WR250F as Playbike?

Or should I get something smaller? I'm 6', 170lbs.

I'm just looking for something to play on, hone skills, a little woods/trail riding, backyard wheeeeelies, etc.

its a big bike, and if ure gonna get a 250 dont get a trail bike.... go with a 250sx hehe

Thats as big and heavy as a 250 gets.

Its also very easy to ride and very reliable.

Good trail bike for playing around.

Be sure to look around on thumperfaq.com al the free mods and the starting ritual. remember that the 02 didnt come with an electric start.

Or should I get something smaller? I'm 6', 170lbs.

I'm just looking for something to play on, hone skills, a little woods/trail riding, backyard wheeeeelies, etc.

I"ve got a 04 wR250f they are great for play or race. You will quickly grow out of a TT-R or similiar bike. If you think at all you will enjoy doing a wheelie get the WR!!!!

If you are just looking for a bike to get you around that can still wheelie and ride fast, I would go with a KTM 200 of some sort. It is torquey enough to get you up hills without too much trouble yet it still has the horsepower that you want when you are looking to have some fun. Plus, since it is a 2 stroke it is going to be less maintenance intensive than a high performance 4 stroke.

or try a kdx 200..plenty of used bikes out there, lots of parts, lots of hop-ups, lot of info,

You will be hard pressed to find a dissatisfied owner. I've owned 2 myself

I own a 2002 wr250 and i wouldnt recomend it. I quickly dumped it for a cr 250.

It took me 4 months to do this... if i had gotten a ttr instead of a wr it would have been 4 hours.

I've got a ZRX1200R for my street bike and a got my girlfriend an XR100 to learn on and I'm having fun riding it so I figured I would get something that supported a rider my size. I'm not gonna do any MX, just trail and backyard stuff.

I don't really need all the trick stuff (well, not exactly trick, but disc's, inverted fork, etc) but there's one nearby for a good price so I figured I'd go for it.

Look beyond the plastics which may have been replaced to see how much abuse the bike may have been through. Take a look at the oil, etc. Don't know much about the bike.

It is good to have wider gear ratios for playing around which I think that bike has. Personally I prefer estart.

For the use you describe, its the ideal bike for you, won't be long & you'll be eying out the 450 :thumbsup:

dont get a 200 it is too small i am 5'10 and 140 pounds and 16 years old so we are kinda close. I ride a kdx220 and am sometimes looking for more power. So i say get a wr250 or bigger. If you really want to have fun buy a 250 2 stroke. Those will rip around all day.

I hear you. The other thing about this is that I'm gonna be spending a lot of time waiting for the girlfriend who is a novice and will be on the XR100, so while I am somewhat worried that I'll "outgrow" the bike, at this point it seems like it is in the sweetspot.

Thanks to everyone for the input. This is a cool site.

WR250f is a really fun bike and great for trail riding and having fun, i would recommend it for a fooling around bike, fast, powerful, fun!

I had that bike, and would definitely recommend it. I miss being able to just lug it around everywhere, but I love the light weight of my 125 for the track.

WR250 sounds like it would be the right bike for the sort of thing your looking for, they wheelie really good.

Like said earlier, a ktm200 would be good also, my older bro has one (see garage) and it's a great bike has great HP and you can still have fun and goof around. But watch it they loop very easily.

KDX200 might not be to bad either but you'll probably have to dump a couple bucks into mods. My bike is great for woods and I can goof around with it to and it's still really fun. They wheelie really good to.