Sign in to follow this  

97 xr400 Riders Foot Hold

My son is 3 and wants to ride with daddy. I would only try this with him riding in front of me and proper protection for him (helmet, boots, etc.). I cant find a good place to put his feet.

Has anyone else run into this and have a good suggestion as to where to put his feet?

Much Thanks, and my son thanks you as well.

My daughter rides in front of me with her legs crossed indian style on the tank (legs on the tank, not her butt).... That way I kinda hold her in my lap with my legs as well...

go and buy a tank bag for an atv, one that goes over the top of the tank and hangs down on the sides, then your sone can put his feet in the pockets on each side :thumbsup:

I have seen "Buddy Pegs" that you could put on your bike for sale on ebay. The DR650 has them stock on thier bikes. The only time I had my 8 year old ride on my 97 XR400 was when his bike would not kick start in the desert. Not much choice.

go and buy a tank bag for an atv, one that goes over the top of the tank and hangs down on the sides, then your sone can put his feet in the pockets on each side :thumbsup:

That seems very dangerous! How easy is it to get away from the bike in a crash situation if your feet are in a bag on the tank? When I was little (4-5) I rode on the tank of an IT 250 (remember those!) and just dangled my feet. Sometimes my legs would fall asleep but that was about it. I remember jumping off the bike right before we crashed one time!

This is a bad idea. When you dump the bike, it's easy to get away from it. When the kid is on there, they don't have much of a chance. An xr400 falling on a 3 year old kid could be deadly. Get the kid his own bike when you think he's ready.

I used to ride double black diamond trails with my daughter in front. She would hold onto the cross-bar pad, and the feet would just dangle. Some of the best rides I had!

I used to ride double black diamond trails with my daughter in front. She would hold onto the cross-bar pad, and the feet would just dangle. Some of the best rides I had!

This is what I do with my 2 year old & 5 year old sons. We don't usually ride very far, but he has all his gear on. I have fallen, and they fall right away from the bike with you.

The feet in the bag thing sounds pretty dangerous. Sometimes, when they were littler (a little over 1), they would hold on around my legs and their legs would kinda be tucked under mine, so your kinda holding them to the bike with your legs. This was just for very gentle riding up and down the road though.

Saw a local guy with little guy pegs welded to the frame on his XR4. said his son has been going on turkey runs since the age of 2 with him. Now he rides his own bike. He even rigged up a small pair of handlebars behind his for the kid to hang onto.

buy a piece of rebar or to be on the safe side 3/4-1" pipe threaded on both end (so you can screw on the capsfor protection)

attach it to the subframe at appropriate height with screw type radiator hose clamps. I did that so my wife could ride. worked super. finding the correct height and place to lash on might be difficult for a small kid. real cheap too

Sorry guys, I love to ride, I ride with my 11 year old on his bike, I even have been giving my 3 year old rides around the yard on an XR50 for the last year and a half or so. I would never put my toddler on my XR400. I never ride without boots and gear since an easy fall could break a leg or burn me horribly. If a 270ish pound bike were to fall on a 3 year old it would kill or mame him or her. Not to be a downer but it just aint safe. Think about Darwin's theory of evolution, neither the weak or stupid live to pass on their DNA. Whatever, it's your legacy to lose man.