Sign in to follow this  

Squeaky suspension on 450EXC

My rear shock is squeaking now, but I don't see any traces of the spring rubbing on something...

I've read the linkage is teflon coated and shouldn't be lubricated in any case.

What could be producing this noise, can I put some lube somewhere to make it stop? should I bother at all?

No...it shouldn't be worn out. Check and make sure there isn't any play in the lower heim joint...if it's tight your fine.

I've always put just a touch of waterproof greese on both shock bolts on all my KTM's, never had a problem with squeeking or premature wear.

Yes....I said premature!

check your brake pedal return spring mine was rubbing on my swing arm when i would push down on the suspension and making a squeek just had to turn the spring around. I am serious about this and other people had the same problem.

check your brake pedal return spring mine was rubbing on my swing arm when i would push down on the suspension and making a squeek just had to turn the spring around. I am serious about this and other people had the same problem.

What he said ^. Mine does a strange new sound now also. It is more of a moan than a squeak. It has been sitting for the last 3 months because of the heat. Anybody had this sound? (sorry if I highjacked your thread)

10 bucks says bigboot is right, my 525 does the same thing. :thumbsup:

Ditto on the brake return spring. My 04 and 05 did it. Put a hard rubber boot over it and it will be gone, or turn it around.

My '05 525 developed a "squeaky shock" too. I just turned the rear brake return spring around and no more squeak. Sure enough, the spring had been rubbing on the swingarm. It sure sounded like it was coming from the shock. Thanks for the tip.