Sign in to follow this  

auto AND manual decomp?

does anyone know if it is possible to have both the auto ('03 & up) cams AND still use the manual decompression? you may say why would i want to do that, because i feel it would be easier if i flooded it, hence why im not sure if i want to switch cams

I have both on my 02 WR250F, the manual decomp lever does come in handy when you flood your engine, especially if you flood it by going under water... :thumbsup:

the main reason i wanted to keep it...i found the hard way a few times they dont like the water....even after moving the vent hose up lol by the time u get it out then kicking it over....ugh

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but would using a manual compression release make a significant difference in starting a flooded bike? Thinking about crashes in motocross races...

The manual decomp allows you to hold the exhaust valve open and kick the engine over several times to clear the cylinder without compression. This is the only advantage it has over the auto decompression IMHO. Hope this helps.

Josh

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but would using a manual compression release make a significant difference in starting a flooded bike? Thinking about crashes in motocross races...

You can clear the engine a little faster with it - that's the advantage in MX. For trail riding, if you get water in the cylinder, it helps with getting the water out but you would most likely have to remove the spark plug anyway if there is a lot of water in there, as well as drain your carb and exhaust system - been there, done that. :thumbsup: