Sign in to follow this  

Bates Ranchero

Anyone know what the deal is with the compound outside at Punta Cabras (north or Erendira) called Bates Ranch? Who owns it, can you rent it out etc?

thanks,

I love that place Cal's. My wife woun't go for it though, but that ranch she could get down with. :thumbsup:
As an option - I have the phone # of the people that rent the big house just below Coyote Cals on the corner. It rents for $100 a night on the weekends, and sleeps 5 people (more but you got to pay more). Pretty rustic place and it looks like a work in progress, but if she isn't into the hostel scene maybe she would go for it. PM me if you want the number. Cabañas "Don Lupe" - they also rent the little round houses next door, but those are real pieces of zhit.

You can walk to the bar at Coyote Cals, and then roll down the hill to the house when you are done.

PS, don't rent it out on the weekend of the 19th (we might be going there :ride: )

Good question.

That Bates Ranch is pretty nice looking.

Not long back I stopped to talk to a man there. He was opening the gate and I didn't recall seeing activity there before so I stopped to say HI.

The old fella told me it was his place. I didn't think about asking if it was a B&B or anything (and he didn't offer). One thing for sure, he doesn't like SCORE... He really hates the races passing in front of his home.

Good question.

That Bates Ranch is pretty nice looking.

Not long back I stopped to talk to a man there. He was opening the gate and I didn't recall seeing activity there before so I stopped to say HI.

The old fella told me it was his place. I didn't think about asking if it was a B&B or anything (and he didn't offer). One thing for sure, he doesn't like SCORE... He really hates the races passing in front of his home.

I've never seen any movement around Bates Ranch either, but by the way the place is kept up with the landscaping it sure looks like someone is minding the place for somebody.

I kind of got the feeling that they don't much appreciate people around in general. The place is walled off ever where - like some sort of compound, and I noticed that they put about 3-4 old boats out across the road just under a slight rise. If you weren't paying attention or hauling ass at night you could fly right into them heading south - watch out :ride:

Mr Green. Thanks for that and I may give you a ping for that number in the future. :thumbsup:

SO i stopped and talked to Richard and Jane Bates at their compound.

They have two houses, but wont rent out either one. They live there full time now.

Bill Bates-the brother-owns a house 200-300 yards away on the other side of the road--he might be interested in renting it out in a few years--but not right now.

Richard told me the hispanic lady in the house closer to the surfer camp area might be interested in a long term lease. He suggested ya just stop by there next time.

Lastly--Richard and Jane are not happy with all the off roaders who drive/ride on the softer field instead of the gravel road--and they are tired of people cutting off the corner. They are considering putting in a fence and gate...

Anyway--Bates Ranch is a no go. :thumbsup:

SO i stopped and talked to Richard and Jane Bates at their compound.

They have two houses, but wont rent out either one. They live there full time now.

Bill Bates-the brother-owns a house 200-300 yards away on the other side of the road--he might be interested in renting it out in a few years--but not right now.

Richard told me the hispanic lady in the house closer to the surfer camp area might be interested in a long term lease. He suggested ya just stop by there next time.

Lastly--Richard and Jane are not happy with all the off roaders who drive/ride on the softer field instead of the gravel road--and they are tired of people cutting off the corner. They are considering putting in a fence and gate...

Anyway--Bates Ranch is a no go. :thumbsup:

10-4 on that....now I know, thanks.

One thing for sure, he doesn't like SCORE... He really hates the races passing in front of his home.

True that Tim,

I usually ride by nice and slow... He's come out and waved a fist at us before, and come to find out it was someone (in the group prior to us) who rode slow through the town (heading South) and opened it up near his place... roostin' through that nicely turned soil (or silty dust pit) without a care to his property....

Bad place to live if you don't like 800 horsepower running across your front silt bed (or Baja Lawn)... but I try to not to add fuel to the fire, he just seems a bit awnry.

:thumbsup: