Sign in to follow this  

New to 4-strokes...how is reliability

Hey, I'm sure ya'll get asked this all the time, and I apologize if you have...but I just bought my first 4-stroke (06 CR250F), and I've heard so many bad things about the 250 four strokes: they're grenades, they suck valves, ticking time bombs etc...and I need to know from someone with experience, how these bikes hold up...

All the things I have been hearing make it hard for me to really "ride" the bike, because I'm afraid something will break, of which I don't have the money to fix.

A little info on myself, I'm a former B class rider, that quit racing a few years ago, and now just wants to ride for fun (though I still own my 01 CR 250 2-stroke). I change the oil and oil filter every 10 hours or so, and clean the air filter every other ride (those two points are the things that most affect the engine)...

Anyway, if you could give me some real world advice, and any tips that will let me enjoy the bike a little bit more...I just hate being worried I'm going to throw a valve, or grenade the engine all the time, and it's making me want to go back to the 2 stroke...

Thanks for your help...

Just ride it and enjoy it. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

They are simply mechanical animals and sooner or later it will break just like everything else that has a motor. Don't let anothers bad experience bother you.

This is where people come when they have problems. If there were that many problems with them there would be a heck of a lot more posts than what you see on here.

tossing a valve is probably the best thing you could do - it'll force you to get to know your motor (that is if you wrench yourself). One time thru the motor and you'll laugh at how simple the Honda is to wrench.

I put over 100 hours on my '04 250R with absolutely no problems. I'm 37 and take care of my stuff, as I pay for my stuff. Your maintenance intervals sound right about what I do. I think you'll be fine. The '06 250R's seem to be doing better than the '04 and '05's are as far as valve problems go.

Ride it like you stole it and maintain it like you paid for it and it won't do you wrong. Enjoy.

Another good thing about the Honda's is that they typically degrade gracefully. When our valve clearances finally went, the bike ran fine one ride and just wouldn't start the next time. Even though we regularly checked the clearances, they went pretty fast at 99.5 hours on the hour meter. When it wouldn't start, I checked the clearances and the right intake had tightened up. The moral of the story is that the engine gave clear signals that there was a problem before any major damage and I think that's pretty common with the Hondas. The key to making the engine live is to act and do a proper top end (valves, seats, springs, guides, seals, etc.) when the clearances finally do go; don't just keep re-shimming :thumbsup: .

Thanks everyone for your help and insight...

My entire racing career has been on two strokes (like most people over 20 years old (I'm 25 now), and four strokes are a totally new animal for me...I've been out of the racing loop since about 2001, and just bough a bike to ride for fun on both tracks and trails and thought I'd cut my four-stroke teeth on a 250f...Honda has been good to me all these years so of course it was my first choice...

The other problem is that I no longer live near/with my parents...my father was my mechanic and bank account...so without his wrenching skills and credit card, I'm in a pretty tough spot because I don't know how to wrench on a four stroke, and with no sponsors to help me out I don't have the money to pay the local dealer for parts and labor; nor am I close to the dealer I have a relationship with...So I want to make sure that the bike stays healthy for as long as possible...

Thanks again for your help, and feel free to continue to enlighten me on the wonders of the four strokes...

just make sure you stay on-top of all the general maintainance ie: oil changes, filter cleaning, etc etc

The moral of the story is that the engine gave clear signals that there was a problem before any major damage and I think that's pretty common with the Hondas. The key to making the engine live is to act and do a proper top end (valves, seats, springs, guides, seals, etc.) when the clearances finally do go; don't just keep re-shimming :thumbsup: .

Thats some sound advice. Im on my firt reshim (Rt intake) at 50 hrs. After this shim Im doing the top end (maybe myself).

i own a 06crf450 and my brother has a 06crf250. each bike has about 70 hours on it and nothing as moved at all. very reliable. we just change the oil about every 2 hours and airfilter every ride and the bikes will start withen 3 kicks, hot or cold

I think all you hear about are the horror stories and not enough about the good things about these bikes. I'm buying a used one soon here(crossing my fingers I don't buy one that already needs new valves)