battery problems-- S model

I was experiencing the same problem, battery would drain down between rides.

I checked out the problem and confirmed the 2 ma draw. I actually measured 2.2ma on my bike. The problem is the speedo unit. If you unplug the speedo the draw drops to 0.4ma which is mostly the rectifier/regulator.

I have the factory manual and traced the wiring and found there is a red wire which connects the speedo directly to the battery bypassing the key switch which maintains the clock setting. The orange wire goes through the key switch and provides the normal power to the speedo. If you unplug the red wire from the 4 prong connector going to the speedo unit you won't have the additional drain, but it will lose the time setting everytime you turn off the key switch, that's the trade off. I have tried this setup and the speedo works normal when the key is on. MAKE SURE you tape up the now disconnected red wire to prevent grounding, it is connected directly to the battery!

The battery is the same one used in the Yamaha R1 and TTR250. The price is the same as from Suzuki but its more available.

I also checked out the Power-Sonic battery. Similar electrical specs and size but the terminals are a different connection type and in different positions, its possible to use it though with a bit of adaptation. The price quoted to me was $23 and in stock at a local electronics store, BIG difference from $85+ from Japan inc.

The choices are;

1. Charge the battery with a good quality charger like a Deltron or similar unit before each ride.

2. Remove the fuse between rides = zero draw on the battery & have to replace the fuse & set the clock.

3. Unplug and tape up the red wire and use as normal except for needing to reset the clock if that's important.

You can download the wiring diagram in pdf format from my website

http://www.vcnet.com/~dgketchpel/drz.htm

Good luck

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally picked up my DRZ S from the showroom last night .... it had been sitting for a couple of months and sure enough, the battery was flat.

Got it jump started after my boyfriend and a salesman tried to bump it on the slight hill outside (no chance!) then put the battery on a trickle charge for a few hours to get it back to full charge.

It started this morning but it didn't sound that happy about it (slow to turn the motor).

Having read this thread (cheers folks!) I think I'll get a warranty claim bunged in now rather than later as there is no way I could ever bump start it.

The garage I work at is Suzuki franchised so I'll try and get some info from Suzuki GB on this providing they admit there is a problem that is!

yam

Man, what a pain, I had to have my buddy's push start my E everytime the bike stalled or we stopped our last outing. Same exact deal with the battery...I thought it was only my bike. I put a switch in to disconnect the headlight so at least when trying to start on a weak battery you can flick the light off. However, still dies in between rides of a week , sometimes, thats the frustrating part.. I'll try that key removal deal, maybe there is a leak. The dealer told me to hook up a tester and with the bike running I should have approx. 14 volts accros the terminals. This insures that the battery is at least charging. If you have 12 volts, something wrong with your charging system.

Just had a call from my other half, he's stranded outside his work 12 miles away with .... you guessed it, a flat battery!

Not a happy bunny even though he was gagging to take it out for a spin today.

Of course our recovery van is nowhere to be found so he has to wait for the AA ... I'll wait in the pub, at least it isn't raining in there ?

I was experiencing the same problem, battery would drain down between rides.

There is definitely something wrong here, I have a 2002-S and it easily starts after weeks of sitting.

Over the winter I let it sit for several months with the battery in, and then yes it was too weak to start (it did turn over and *almost* fired up, though) and I took it out and charged it.

The manual does make clear that the clock draws when the switch is off, but there should still be enough battery for at least a month's worth of sitting.

-Vince

thanks danketchpel fot the info!! it seems that a fresh battery can handle the constant 2mA draw for extended periods. my buddys bike has no starting problems, and his has been doing ALOT of sitting--i have almost 1000 miles, he has a bit over 300 (we picked them up in January). his bike was fresh from Okinowa, mine was on the floor for at least 4 months. now the battery is marginal at best. dan--do you happen to have the part # handy for that service manual?? i've been tooo busy/lazy to get the info myself!! :D welcome yam and viverrid, thanx for posting also!! it's nice to see a lady in the dirt,yam!! ?

Originally posted by pasto27774:

Well...I finally broke down and ordered a new battery today ($80) ? I had it on a the tender the last few days and got stuck at a store today. I was lucky to get it push started. It's not holding the charge any longer.

I've been waiting over a week for this battery - dealer still hasn't received it. This sucks! I tried to ride yesterday and the battery is completely dead...won't even hold a charge!

I recently purchased a 2001 model that's been sitting on the floor for awhile. I've let mine sit for two weeks or more without starting it and it turns over with ease. I would say the best bet is if you're not going to ride it daily then have a switch wired into the clock lead to disconnect it. As for me, since I plan on riding mine quite a bit this summer it should stay charged. I'll just remove the battery this coming late fall and I won't have to worry about battery drain.

Hi all,

I don't if this is new information or not but this may be another alternative to the OEM battery.

GS Battery

In their listing they show a GT7B-4 for the DRZ400E/S. I don't think it is any cheaper than the OEM but it "seems" to be made by some different. I'm in the process of the Powersonic PS-1270 transplant that someone else recommended.

Anyway, just thought I would share that bit of info.

Later

a little update--i threw on the 40 year old charger the other day and left it on for several hours. seems to have shocked it back. it sat for a week and just fired right up--turned over nice and quick. i'm gonna abuse this battery until there is nothing left--the Power Sonic is gonna have to wait!! ?

Ta for the welcome, Smitty!

I put a new battery on the DR-Z (an aftermarket one, Suzuki rejected the warranty claim as the battery had been left in the bike for a lot of months without having the recommended top up charge every 2 months) and it's all fine and dandy now .... so far!

As for seeing a 'lady in the dirt' I'm afraid I'm a total shortass wuss and mine has supermoto wheels on it otherwise I couldn't get it off the stand without great trouble ... as it is I'm going to have to get a gel seat and links so I can get a toe on the ground at lights without dangling off the seat like a demented monkey.

The 350LC is my baby ... even though it's in a thousand bits at the moment awaiting some valuable days off to get the rebuild started ... should be ready for the Autumn ... mebbie ?

street,dirt- at least your out there living life and riding!! i would definately recommend the low gel seat. i'm 5'4" (your probably taller than me!) and the seat helped out big time--especially here. our New England roads have all kinds of interesting angles--kinda tricky when stopped for the red light. i bought mine at www.ronayers.com --they were the cheapest in the U.S..they might end up being more for you, though, due to the shipping charges, but it's worth a look. ?

I've been waiting over a week for this battery - dealer still hasn't received it. This sucks! I tried to ride yesterday and the battery is completely dead...won't even hold a charge!

The wait continues! THe dealer said the battery is back ordered until July 30th! They said they would call Suzuki tomorrow, but I'm searching for alternatives!

Pasto -

I had this same problem with my 2000S. I got a new battery last year and it is toast this year. I refuse to pay the cost for another replacement. The 2000 factory battery was a GB, the replacement last year was a Yuasa.

I have sent a note to PowerSonic to see if the battery thay have is suitable for the DRZ. If they tell me it is ok, then I will gladly modify the connections for a $25.00 battery.

I can get one locally. Look in the Yellow Pages for a battery supply place. The PowerSonic is usually for UPS replacements.

I hope to get an answer from Power Sonic soon and go for the 1270 myself.

I will go for the PowerSonic regardless if the wait for another Yuasa is over two weeks. I can stand to destroy a battery for $25.00 if it can get me back in business to go on vacation!

I'll post what I hear from PowerSonic.

Carl Bill

Originally posted by smittyman:

i'm 5'4" (your probably taller than me!)

5'2" ... do I win a prize? ?

I didn't use a genuine Suzuki battery since it wasn't being covered under warranty. Are GS batteries available in the states? If so, the GT7B-4 is the one I used - identical to the original in every way except this one holds a charge :D

Can someone post how they modified the posts of the Powersonic to adapt to the bike's electric connectors? This sounds like the way to go.

I have a 97 DR350, and it came with the same crappy battery that you newer DRZs are running. Mine is very weak and needs charging all the time.

Consequently, I have become very proficient at bump-starting the bike. The trick is to get the piston just past TDC before attempting the bump start. This will enable it to gain some momentum before having to get past TDC again on the compressions stroke. To do this, put the bike in gear and push it backwards until it wont move. At this point, you should have it at just past TDC. Then, back in neutral, push it forward (preferably down a hill ? ) to get some speed, kick it in second, and as you drop the clutch, bounce your full weight on the seat to get maximum traction. Should start right up.

Message from powerSonic:

"We have not heard of this application for the 1270, but it may suit quite well. I would be suprised if the battery could hold up under the vibration and turbulence caused by a motorcycle. One of the internal parts might come loose. Also, the PS-1270 does not provide a great deal of CCAs but if it has enough to meet the demand, it should be all-right."/

Good enough for me. I'm trying the $25.00 PowerSonic. It can't be any worse than the CB and Yuasa I have already had.

The wait continues! THe dealer said the battery is back ordered until July 30th! They said they would call Suzuki tomorrow, but I'm searching for alternatives!

Went back to the dealer today and picked up a GT7B-4. Finally.....back in the saddle ?

Talked to a setup guy at the dealer. he said when filling up the factory battery for the first time with electrolite(battery acid)the battery must be uncapped for some time till the plates in the battery are completely saturated and then charge.If it doesnt absorb the liquid into the plates yamaha said to junk it and order new one. He said some dealer may rush this process and in the end give you a battory with a short life. Still because of the 2ma draw it will depleat that battery . It should hold a charge at least 2 months.