Sign in to follow this  

Bad Oil Leak!!

i have a bad oil leak that seems like it is comming from behind my front sprocket. any one know what it is and what i can do to fix it?? THANKS EVERYONE!! :thumbsup:

lol, funny story, on my xr80 the chain blew off(as usual) when i had it revved out. it made a huge gouge in the case, we put red silicon on it, then i rode it threw some mud so it wouldn't show as much. then sold it and went bikeless for over a year. i covered my ass by putting "as is" on the bill of sale. last i heard it was in the shop for more than it was worth in repairs :ride:

if its a major leak, you'll need to replace that gasket in behind there. i'll pull up a parts diagram :thumbsup:

Note to self......DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM "WAY FATS WHITEY" ....EVER!

FAST*

i sold to stupid bike a few hunred bucks, no big deal.

i sold to stupid bike a few hunred bucks, no big deal.

That kid probably saved that few hundred bucks over the whole summer cutting lawn and lemonade sales......poor little kid! :thumbsup:

Funny story though......

i have a bad oil leak that seems like it is comming from behind my front sprocket. any one know what it is and what i can do to fix it?? THANKS EVERYONE!! :thumbsup:

It sounds like you'll have to replace your countershaft seal. That's the shaft with the drive sprocket on it.

Lay the bike over on its right side so the sprocket is up, then take the sprocket off. This'll keep the oil from leaking out while you've got the seal out. Use a dentist's pick to remove the old seal, or thread a wood screw into it and pull it out with vice grips. Be careful not to damage the case.

Of course, you've already ordered a new seal, so put it in, and tap it home GENTLY with a socket large enough to ONLY PRESS ON THE OUTSIDE DIAMETER OF THE SEAL. Again, being careful not to damage the case. Put the sprocket back on and go ride. :applause:

WFW :applause: Your stock just crashed. :ride: If I had done something that blatantly dishonest, I don't think I'd be braggin' about it. You should be ashamed, not proud, of your self.:applause:

• Like 1

maybe your countershaft seal is blown or leaking? or it could be a gasket or maybe a damaged case. check it out and find out exactly where it is coming from.

WFW :applause: Your stock just crashed. :ride: If I had done something that blatantly dishonest, I don't think I'd be braggin' about it. You should be ashamed, not proud, of your self.:applause:

easy there partner, you don't know the whole story(not that i told it), firt off, i wasn't bragging, i thought my fellow TT'rs could enjoy a little story.

vantolr, ya right! that kids dad owned some company, he, nor the kid knew shit about bikes, and they were real pricks to me, as if the kid saved up his money, this guy was loaded, he tried to buy the bike over the phone "just in case" someone else came to look at it, and then he said, if we find another just keep the money, or something stupid, just because he didn't want to drive out that day :applause: . and the kid didn't know how to ride, he blew the clutch apparently :thumbsup:

im a cheapy, so i put a shitload of yamabond on the backside there, and let it dry, then i but the sprocket back on.

im a cheapy, so i put a shitload of yamabond on the backside there, and let it dry, then i but the sprocket back on.

This is the cheap way. YES, but when the sealer that you applied to the countershaft starts leaking again (it is sure to leak again) you take a chance of running your bike out of oil. Then the 20 bucks, or less, that you saved, will end up costing you about a grand!!!! Not a smart thing to do! :thumbsup:

Do exactly what Barton has discribed. :ride:

I just did this on my son's '03 KX85. We noticed a lot of oil on the front sprocket after a practice session. We made it through the day but ordered the seal the next morning. Once the new seal arrived I installed it and had everything ready to roll in around an hour or so. It really is a simple job even for someone not mechanically inclined as myself. Just be "gentle" when reinstalling the new seal, a socket is the absolute best choice to tap the seal into place.

David :thumbsup:

I have the same issue with my 05. Part is an oil seal, #25 on micro fische,cost is under $7 bux.

Look at the collar that rides on the seal! If it has any grooves,replace it also.

It sounds like you'll have to replace your countershaft seal. That's the shaft with the drive sprocket on it.

Lay the bike over on its right side so the sprocket is up, then take the sprocket off. This'll keep the oil from leaking out while you've got the seal out. Use a dentist's pick to remove the old seal, or thread a wood screw into it and pull it out with vice grips. Be careful not to damage the case.

Of course, you've already ordered a new seal, so put it in, and tap it home GENTLY with a socket large enough to ONLY PRESS ON THE OUTSIDE DIAMETER OF THE SEAL. Again, being careful not to damage the case. Put the sprocket back on and go ride. :ride:

QUOTE]

i got the seal but i cant get the old one off. any other sugestions??? :thumbsup:

I noticed an oil burning smell on my bike last night after riding,

and then saw 2 tiny spots of oil on the garage floor.

Sure enough oil is leaking behind the front sprocket.

So I ordered a new collar and seal this morning from TT, but

I found another thread that said to make sure your front sprocket

nut is tightened down good, and you know, mine isn't. Actually the

only thing holding the sprocket on is the washer you bend around the

nut. So this may be my issue, but I'll replace the parts anyway.