Sign in to follow this  

06 YZ250F Clutch Prob. HELP!!

I am supposed to go riding tonight (only my 3rd ride), but I seem to have a clutch problem. Can someone PLEASE help. I have an 06 YZ250F with only about four hours on it. I can't seem to get it to "free-wheel" when the lever is pulled in. There is no play in the lever and the cable seems to be adjusted correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

most likely your quality of oil. try a different brand, a better type.(assuming your talking about your clutch dragging)

This happens a lot on bikes that sit. Also on the new 06 bikes.

I never had the problem, but then again I tear all my bikes down to the frame, tear down the top end, aftermarket clutch basket, and more mods before even starting it.

But most likely the plates are a bit dry. put the bike in 4th w/o running, pull in the clutch and roll it back for about 2 revolutions of the rear wheel. IF that does not help, then take apart the clutch and oil all the fibers. Then reinstall, adjust the cable and you should be good.

Will riding the bike like this cause damage , other than premature wear ?

I have to wait to buy any specialty tools, but I want to put in a couple hours off saddle-time this weekend. How difficult is it to pull apart the clutch to oil the plates ?

There is no play in the lever and the cable seems to be adjusted correctly

Im pretty sure you are suppose to have some play in the lever, check your manual. I had the same problem with my 06, i adjusted the slack and it worked fine. You can also try turning up your idle to around 2000 rpm, it worked for me.

Take it to the dealer if your within the 30 day warranty period. I had the same problem. They tore it down, oiled the plates and it did not fix the problem. They ended up putting in new plates for me at no charge. Problem solved.