Sign in to follow this  

switching premix

I have used Klotz super techroline forever and i decided to try Klotz R90 ,,Fouled two plugs within one day,,, I never fouled a plug before. Do you think I may have some of the superT still in the tank and its just not mixing together? I did not empty the tank I just added the R90 because it needed gas. :thumbsup:

I have used Klotz super techroline forever and i decided to try Klotz R90 ,,Fouled two plugs within one day,,, I never fouled a plug before. Do you think I may have some of the superT still in the tank and its just not mixing together? I did not empty the tank I just added the R90 because it needed gas. :thumbsup:

I would of drained the gas tank before I switched pre-mix . Drain it and start over.

I have switched premix several times without draining the tank and have never had any problems. I have always heard not to do it, but i have never seen or actually heard of anyone having any problems doing it. You kept your mixing ratio the same and everything. I guess you can try what gixxer said. But i dont see how just changing oils would make a difference. Hopefully someone has knowledge on this

The tech info for R50 says " Premix at 40:1 to 50:1 only." Bel Ray and Amsoil also make oils which are designed to be run at high dillution ratios.

Just thought I would get away from the bubble gum smell of the superT.. More suggestions would be helpfull.

In most cases, different oils will have different viscosity characteristics. You may be able to run the oil at 32:1 but may have to adjust your carb or even rejet to get the same performance. Even though BelRay is capable of running 40:1 or 50:1, I've always run it at 32:1 and jetted for that ratio. Been doing this for the last 19 years with no problems and I get more much more life out of a top end than the manual recommends.

I used to run Castor 927. It was great oil. Although i switched to yamalube because it is a lot cheaper

927,MMMM, that smell!!!!

Yeah my buddies still run it. I sometimes find myself stayin BEHIND those 125's when im on my 500 lol. But then, in the end, i cant resist the blow-by at 100 mph :thumbsup:

My bike was jetted using HP2 @ 32:1 and when I tried Klotz R-50 my bike ran rich too. I've also tried the Super Techniplate 20% castor and it ran a bit rich as well. I talked to Klotz and they told me that R-50 was a 50 wt oil and needed to be run at 50:1 and that Motorcycle Techniplate KL-302 full synthetic would work better for riding tight singletrack where you're not revving the motor. You might try doing a search for "Klotz" on KTMtalk where there's at least a dozen threads on this subject. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Yamalube is one of the best and recomended by many.

I've run it KX's Yz'x and my current CR 32:1