Sign in to follow this  

hard starting hot te410

ok...so I'm at the shop with the te410, and I was going to check the intake valves, but ...I'm kinda stumped. How do you get to TDC? Is there really only one way to get it...check the piston on the comp. stroke...making sure the piston is at the top of the stroke??? :thumbsup:

I don't have a manual either, so....I've read that there are shims?/??? is that so? this is a 2000 te410, and I thought that I would be able to take the hot start intake off and check the clearances...am I wrong?

to get it to tdc take of the ignition cover and pop out the spark plug and stick a drinking straw down the spark plug hole and rotate the flywheel,which is the round thing when you take the ignition cover off,get a wrench to fit it and rotate it untill the straw goes all the way up before it falls down,now remember to make sure its on the compression stroke when you do this,im not 100 %sure on how to make sure it is on that stroke but its a 50,50 chance you will get it,maybe somebody elese can assist you on that.

I too have a TE410 and just checked my valves. There are no shims, there is a set screw with locking nut....way easy. Just like the old small block chevys. I digress. The way I find TDC is to use a small screwdriver/straw/pencil/etc. in the spark plug hole. I watch it rise and fall a couple times while watching the valves. Once the exhaust valves open and then close, the next time the piston is at TDC, both exhaust and intake valves will be closed because this is the compression stroke. If this is wrong please tell me, it's been a while since I built car engines.