Sign in to follow this  

1985 KDX 200-good idea???

Hello,

This site is really cool and I've learned a lot. Mostly I think I want to stick with a two-stroke!!! :thumbsup:

What do you people think about a really cherry, well maintained '85 KDX 200 that I can get for around $650-$700??

I ridden many years on some serious big bore bikes, but I just want something mellow that I can ride with my young kids who are learning and maybe some tight single track trails ocassionally for fun.

What do you think???

Big mistake or just a bad idea??

I would say that if you have been looking at the bike and it is in good shape, go for it...but try to talk them down a bit. it's not worth 650. it might be worth 500. Thoe 85's were air cooled, so there isnt much technology in them. If you can get it for 500, i would say go for it.

700 is a little high for an 85 but watch out, my buddy just bought an 89 for 650 and it blew up on him. Try and go for something a little bit newer if possible. It will be easier to find parts, it will be liquid cooled and it will probably be in better shape.

jerry, even if you could get the bike for $300 it will not be good for what you want it for. The technology is just too old.

How do i know, I have owned an 82 It175 yamaha and it was outdated and i own a 87 honda xl250 and even though it is a very nice bike, the technology isnt there. My '72 yamaha CT175 is very old and extremly relaible but isnt very exceptional in the trails. I would stick to a bike from the 90's or newer. I know everyone says this but save up some more if you can get $1200 you can get a much newer bike. I just picked up a 2000 kdx200 for my cousin for $1200 and i would say it was a 8 out of 10. So try to save up. If i can do it(im 16) so can you.

The 85 KDX is a good bike. KX handling traits, built to win races at the time (people didn't go much slower through the trees in the mid eighties)

http://www.georgiaoffroad.com/dirtbike.php?model=85kdx200&modelid=117

Personally I'd hold out for a mint condition C series (86 to 88). Then you'll get the front disc, power valve, bigger tank, better suspension and better spares availability. Plus there's still aftermarket stuff around for the C's -Maier plastic, FMF and DG pipes, Vforce reeds etc And the piston kits are same as the current day KDX. And you still have the convenience of an aircooled KDX (easy to work on, lighter)

im looking at a 96 bored to a 220 any advise? cylinder was bored but no mention of plating is that a bad thing ?

I have an 87 kx80 and the only ones who make pipes for it are DG(vintage pipes) and pro circuit has one. I'm pretty sure fmf doesn't make any for mine but maybe they do for the same year kdx's.

im looking at a 96 bored to a 220 any advise? cylinder was bored but no mention of plating is that a bad thing ?

Are you sure it's bored out to 220? They make kdx220's you know. But I know I wouldn't ever buy a bored out bike...

Hello,

This site is really cool and I've learned a lot. Mostly I think I want to stick with a two-stroke!!! :thumbsup:

What do you people think about a really cherry, well maintained '85 KDX 200 that I can get for around $650-$700??

I ridden many years on some serious big bore bikes, but I just want something mellow that I can ride with my young kids who are learning and maybe some tight single track trails ocassionally for fun.

What do you think???

Big mistake or just a bad idea??

Be very carefull about purchasing early 80's KDX's. New parts availibility is becoming an issue. I work for a Kawasaki dealer, and a customer purchased an '84 KX125, and most parts for that model are no longer available.