Sign in to follow this  

bee in helmet

So I'm going about 30mph and a yellow jacket gets into my helmet... I have to slow to a stop, take off my gloves, struggle to get the helmet off, get the googles out of the helmet and finally extricate the bee who burrowed itself in the helmet. It escaped scot free... giving me the finger as it made its retreat :thumbsup:

Was wondering if anyone could suggest better protection out there then the helmet/goggles combo. Would a visor be better?

Dude you got of scott free bee happy.

Usually you can flip open the visor and turn your head. I got stung on my belly at 70 mph once. That nearly caused a wreck...

you are a lucky man! i got a carpenter bee (huge black bees that are the size of half dollars) on the neck. almost caused me to go down too.

Laid my jacket on the ground one time and I guess ants made their home in it. Got 3 blocks before I realized that pinching wasn't a figment of my imagination, and was actually getting worse. Full gear to topless in 4 seconds flat! Thats after I pulled over, of course!!

I wear a street bike helmet on the street. I hit a Japanese beetle (1" long, green metallic) on my way to work last week. it hit me right in the neck at 60 mph. on my way back home I hit one at the same place, same speed on the shoulder. maybe it was the same bug. it's like getting hit with something half the size of a golfball.

Ive heard a lot of people tell their stories about bee's in the helmet. Indeed you got lucky...but to answer your question, I have a dirtbike helmet that I wear for around town and a full face street bike helmet with visor for highway riding. I would suggest a full face if this is an ongoing problem. Dont let the bee's win! :thumbsup:

often you'll see bikers riding along peacfully and then, in a flurry of action, gear starts flying all over the place. The bike coasts to a stop and sometimes topples over and the rider runs around flailing himself.

The first sting of the year is the worst. You develop a bit of a tolerance to them as the summer wears on.

Keep your jacket closed, your goggles and HELMET on or use a fullface helmet.

My worst sting:many years ago in traffic @30-50mph, a wasp hit my chest, fell inside my shirt. A few minutes later it awoke in a bad mood. It stung me 18 times (counted the welts) as it climbed from near my belly-button, up my stomach, across my chest and to my collar bone, where one of my self-inflicted punches got it.

A couple weeks ago I got hit in the face by a Palo Verde beetle going about 50. I saw it coming, ducked, and it hit me in the left eye/cheek. It litterally turned my head from hitting me so hard. BTW, they are generally about 3-4 inches long, hard shelled and have some really nasty mandibles. I have seen them up to 6 inches in length. :thumbsup: They are also really difficult to kill. I stepped on one in my garage once. Heard a crack, and left him to die. Believe it or not that SOB was still crawling around 2 days later!!

pvbr-bt2.jpg

Wouldn't happen without a helmet. They just skip off my face.

I can't imagine riding without a helmet... my helmet/goggles have killed so many bullet sized insects at high speed that I'm sure I'd be dead from the impact by now if I wasn't wearing them... minimally I'd be riding with an eye-patch... hmm that might be kind of cool actually. :thumbsup:

Not to make light of ANY insect strike, but these stories always remind me to shareTHIS an all time classic . Hope you enjoy it as I did.

I had this happen with a full face helmet years ago. Hot day riding with the shield up slowly to get some air a bee flew into my helmet and hit me in the face. Just as this happens I hit a large bump and down comes the shield trapping the bee inside. It's going to happen bugs are a part of riding.

Then don't come around rural California. We intentionally place beehives out to polinate the trees. I refuse to ride in February and March. I will hapily drive the 12 mpg chevy to avoid the dozens of bee stings that would occur.

A couple weeks ago I got hit in the face by a Palo Verde beetle going about 50. I saw it coming, ducked, and it hit me in the left eye/cheek. It litterally turned my head from hitting me so hard. BTW, they are generally about 3-4 inches long, hard shelled and have some really nasty mandibles. I have seen them up to 6 inches in length. :thumbsup: They are also really difficult to kill. I stepped on one in my garage once. Heard a crack, and left him to die. Believe it or not that SOB was still crawling around 2 days later!!

pvbr-bt2.jpg

Jesus... please keep these contained within Arizona (with the killer bees). I don't want them traveling north to Utah

I think this is my first post. I just hafta say this thread made me laugh. Cuz we all eventually deal with Mr. Bee.

I've also had the stunned-bee-falls-into-your-jacket-only-to-awake-later-and-start-stinging routine, and it's just no fun. :thumbsup:

Was wondering if anyone could suggest better protection out there then the helmet/goggles combo. Would a visor be better?

Check out the Arai XD. They are a bit pricey, but I really like the one I'm using. I was paid a visit by Mr. Big Ass Bumble Bee a fee months back using the moto helmet goggle combo. Had to pull off the Hwy and free that big fury black and yellow monster who was crawling around on my goggle frames. The search was on for the Arai XD. Paid $425.00 from retail store one day sale.

Then don't come around rural California. We intentionally place beehives out to polinate the trees. I refuse to ride in February and March.

As a teen with no car, and living in the country miles from friends, this time of the year made life a bit rough. I remember the routine for passing a hive well, pull the collar tight, full tuck, head down and hope they didn't make it in a hole or the helmet. I actually figured out the slower speeds were better. The bee's are very busy this time of the year and really didn't get to upset unless they got hit or stuck.

I've hit birds and big bugs, but the absolute winner was a bat right in the goggles. I knew exactly what it was in the lights, and it hit me right in the goggles and stuck for a moment. They are weird. I actually grabbed at it and it fell away. They literal splat, stick, then fall away(I hit them in my package car almost daily) .

Hey, we have to worry about falling coconuts where I live.

They're hard and heavy and if you're zipping down the street and one hits you're noggin, bye-bye you.

3 years ago while i was riding home from our summer house i hit a bee at 100 km/h. it was so hot so my visor was open. the bee injects just below my eye. it hurt so much. and my eye looked like i had a punch on mye face. nobody believed my that it is not a punch just a bee... :thumbsup:

last year i hit a bee at the same place, i felt a warm point on my leg. then all the cars looking at me while i'm peeing on my leg :ride: (just a drop on it, rest on the ground :applause: you know ammonia is good.