Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400SM vs. KTM525SMR

Hey guys- have been waiting for the 07 DRZs to be released, but a dealer close has an 05 KTM on the floor, 0 miles. Which one would you choose? I need it to be street legal, so any guestimates on how much it would be to convert the KTM to street legal?

I would say get the KTM but since it isn't street legal I'm going to have to say, I would go with the DRZ.

Before anyone can accurately advise you on which bike you should buy, we'll need a little more information...

How do you plan to use the bike? Communting, city riding, twisties, track days, racing, etc.? The DRZ and SMR are drastically different bikes.

The KTM is street licensable right from the dealer, so don't make the mistake of ORV stickering it first. Once you ORV sticker it, it is hard to go later get a plate for it.

To make it road legal will cost about $450 for a Baja Designs dual sport kit, but you can put this on later as no inspection should be required to get a plate for it. At least that's how the KTM 4-strokes are in WA, and things are pretty strict here. That SMR might already have the cush hubs that you will want for extended pavement riding, but I don't really know.

The difference between the two bikes is too much to cover here, like comparing a Ford Focus to a Corvette.

I would be using the bike to commute, cruise the town, and also take to the track.

I don't think the 07 DRZ is going to have any changes from previous years.

No idea how things work in CO but in CA factory plated bikes are gold. There have been reports that bikes plated through the dealer that are not intended to be licensed by the manufacturer are having their plates revoked.

No idea how things work in CO but in CA factory plated bikes are gold. There have been reports that bikes plated through the dealer that are not intended to be licensed by the manufacturer are having their plates revoked.

Yup, I read about that too. Thankfully, Kali seems to be a bit more restrictive than the rest of the states. Good for the rest of us, but a bummer you guys.

Other than that one person, has anyone else reported this happening?