Sign in to follow this  

how 125's stack up against 250f's

hey!! all tters. i am going to get into a new bike soon and i am also going to get into mx. i was wondering how you guys with your 125's all stacked up against the four stroke bikes out there. and what class do you all ride cuz i would be beginner.

250f's kill 125s. They are more expensive, but IMO wayy better. If you look after them then they are bulletproof.

im faster on my 125 and i like it more then those 250fs, 2 strokes are alot more fun to ride there lighter and cheaper and easer to work on :thumbsup::ride:

Yeah A 250f will pull a little stronger then a stock 125 but is not really faster. Now if you take time to get the head worked on and have the cylinder ported polished and matched to the cases then the 125 two stroke can be a mean machine for under 300 bucks if you know where to get your work done.

The cost to modify a four stroke is much higher and then they don't hold up as well.

So weight your options

its more rider than bike.

i love my 125, i dont like the engine brake of the tumpers, althought they do pull hard.

i race 125C... the only engine mods I have on my bike are V-force delta 3 reeds, and a twin air filter, (and a wiseco piston...same thing as oem pretty much lol)... i've holeshotted 6th place in 125C, rode through a couple people and been in 4th place before i messed up my hip in that race.

This thread has the possibility of becoming a flame war, but I like my bike because it's what I'm used to... If i wanted it to pull like a 250f, I could have work done to make it pull like a 250f... lol, but in the long run, the 125 will be cheaper to maintain, and would be a fun beginner's bike (you said you were a beginner).

If you're buying new, I'd pick up an '05- '06 YZ125... they're veryyyy durable, flickable anywhere, and they've won every single shootout in every magazine in '05 and '06. That's gotta mean something... lol

Go with a 125 man... I'm not against thumpers (I was looking to buy one last week), but a 125 would be perfect for a beginner

but what classes do you guys ride?

Accelerates faster.

Does it make sence to you to spend money on a 125 to make it as fast as a stock 250f?

I don't know that it makes any more sense to put money into either "lite's" bikes as really neither hold their value very well. I would say that putting money into a lightly used 05 or 06 125 is probably the way to go.

In these times, you can buy a lightly used or new left over 125 and mod it pretty well without touching the price of a new or leftover 250F. Is the 125 going to be better...truthfully probably not, but you are going to have a personalized and modified bike over a off the floor 250F.

The 250F's and 125's are both maintenance intensive. Keep them both well maintained, change piston/rings on interval, (valve adjust on 250F) and they will both be reliable. The difference comes in when things go wrong. When things go wrong, the 250F's ARE more expensive (sometimes 2-3 X's more) to fix.

I have found after many bikes that it is not what is "better" "faster" "more awesome" "Phat" "whatever", but what is better for you both financially and riding style wise.

good advice :thumbsup: and what do you guys think about the 04/05 CR 125? are they good bikes? and are they worth 4500 canadian?

I think it is totally worth modifying a 125 due to the fact that you can buy them cheaper and top end cost is cheaper. At this rate a simple 300 to 500 bucks to make the motor much more pleasurable is worth it.

But i ride a YZ250 so any stock 125 or 250f stinks IMO. but i do own a RM125 if that counts.

good advice :thumbsup: and what do you guys think about the 04/05 CR 125? are they good bikes? and are they worth 4500 canadian?

04/05 cr125 is a good bike

If I was going to go with a CR it would definetly have to be the '05 up model my friend has an '06 which is basically the same and honda finally fixed it. both bikes when stock it could hang with my '06 YZ 125. The older CR motor required too much fixing to mark good power stock the '05 only required jetting to fix it. Not jetting and motor mods, mod's on the '05 vs mod's on a '04 and older CR the '05 would still be faster!!! :thumbsup:

If I was going to go with a CR it would definetly have to be the '05 up model my friend has an '06 which is basically the same and honda finally fixed it. both bikes when stock it could hang with my '06 YZ 125. The older CR motor required too much fixing to mark good power stock the '05 only required jetting to fix it. Not jetting and motor mods, mod's on the '05 vs mod's on a '04 and older CR the '05 would still be faster!!! :thumbsup:

i got some work done to my 03 cr125 and will smoke every 125 out there

so how was the suspension of the RM and CR? what would be the big selling points of each?