Sign in to follow this  

NC Helmet Law

anyone have a link or care to discuss this?

I'm asking because a friend's neighbors keep calling the cops when they are riding. They are riding on there own property and never after dark. Cops came last time and told them they better stay on their own property and they had better wear helmets or he would give cititations. He also said that he could give noise violation tickets at any time of day?

Everyone riding was adults, 21 and older. Anyone know what's up?

It's Johnston county if anyone cares

ATV riders have to wear eye protection and a helmet. They also put age restrictions on ATV's. This is statewide.

The only Motorcycle restrictions that I know of are the ones placed recently if you are riding in a Federal park (ie. Brown Mt., Uhwarrie). :thumbsup:

Of course, if you are on someone elses property you can get a trespass ticket and it is up to your local laws about noise ordinances.

ATV riders have to wear eye protection and a helmet. They also put age restrictions on ATV's. This is statewide.

The only Motorcycle restrictions that I know of are the ones placed recently if you are riding in a Federal park (ie. Brown Mt., Uhwarrie). :thumbsup:

Of course, if you are on someone elses property you can get a trespass ticket and it is up to your local laws about noise ordinances.

what he said is correct :ride:

so you must wear helmet/eye protection on an atv no matter what your age or where you are riding, even on your own property

In NC, helments are required on all State maintained roadways, paved or gravel. Noise ordinances are town or county specific, whatever the county or town commissioners voted in. Riding on private land falls under no jurisdiction (for bikes).

Some LEO's try to bluff their way into forcing people to comply which is quite unfortunate. Next time this happens, ask the officer to show you the statute in writing that he would be using to make the charge. Do it in a nice, cordial way, and he/she will if there is such a staute. If not, then ride brother ride!

I know I don't need to say that helments are a good idea to protect the ole' noodle.

See, people have to realize that not wearing helments, wrecking and showing up in an ER or coroners office is what drove the ATV law into existance. Bikes can and will be no different if we don't police ourselves!!!! :thumbsup:

See, people have to realize that not wearing helments, wrecking and showing up in an ER or coroners office is what drove the ATV law into existance. Bikes can and will be no different if we don't police ourselves!!!! :ride:

I could not have said it any better. :thumbsup:

I agree, I always wear a helmet but some of my friends dont like wearing helmets and i was just wondering what the law was for adults on their own property

I agree, I always wear a helmet but some of my friends dont like wearing helmets and i was just wondering what the law was for adults on their own property

Spread some of that college wisdom to your friends about helments. :applause:

Riding without a helment is like strange sex without a "lid". Sooner or later the luck will run out and there's consequences to pay. :applause: I personally feel very strongly about helment use. When I was 13 ( almost 40 now), I crashed my bike and had I not been wearing a helment, I would be either in an assisted living environment or dead. The ole' Bell helment I was wearing cracked at the top right corner when my head found a football sized rock. Unconscious for 32 hours, puking on myself while I was out, and the neurologist was within an hour of shaving my head and drilling holes in my skull to relieve cranial pressure. :ride:

Tell your friends (if they really are) that helments are a necessity!

Ok, now I'm off my soap box............. :thumbsup:

A few weeks ago near Durham 2 guys died because they were riding dirt bikes at night off road without lights and they ran head on into each other - and they had no helmets on. They were both going around 45 mph. I have no idea why they were riding in opposite directions when they collided.