Sign in to follow this  

My grip story

Got tired of the stock, hard compound grips and swapped them out for a fresh set of Kevlars. The stock throttle grip was a BITCH :applause: . Took me over 30min to get it 95% of it off :applause: . Some traces were still left over. Sad thing, I don't think it even had any grip glue, just wire. Clutch side was a piece of cake, glue, but no wire :ride: . It was a pain getting the new ones on too. I think I made the mistake of putting glue on the throttle side where as stock didnt have it :applause: , and just wire on the clutch side. In any case, the new grips are on, they feel awesome :thumbsup: , and I hope the outlast the bike so I dont have to fight them to get them off. If all else fails, I'll but a new throttle tube and bars, lol. :applause:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=24526

Yea if I ever bend the bars bad enough, I'm gonna try some Pro Tapers. Only because they are actually made by Easton. They make aluminum bats as well, and I'm sure they use the same metals.

I took the easy way out and bought a new throttle before I even rode the bike. :thumbsup: The stock grips hurt my hands sitting on the bike while on the showroom floor. I personally like the Spider grips...I haven't used anything else for over 2 yrs now. They are pricey ($15.99) but awesome.

So are the ProTapers a huge difference over the Renthals? I have always used ProTapers but this is such a new bike I can't tell if the bars flex or not.

Due to liability lawyers, the throttles have the grips co-molded onto the plastic throttle tube, essentially making them one-piece, so the stock 'grip portion' is not designed to be removed from the 'plastic tube' portion.

Like mxjosh said, the first thing to do before you even ride the bike is to buy an aluminum throttle tube and your favorite grips. Once you try the aluminum throttle tube, you'll never go back to plastic.

You could try cutting/drilling/dremeling, but these are hard anodized and very tough. It took me forever to do that for my DR-Z400SM so I could fit the bar-ends.

Then I found out they make a version with a hole on the end! Just have to look around more for those.

Damn, too bad I already had stuck my new grips on before you posted that.

I usually take a box cutter or x-acto knife and carefully cut the old grips off, then put the new ones on with just grip glue, or if I have any wire I would use some too.

I would suggest the ODI grips. They are lock on so no glue required, very durable and feel really good, and the throttle side already comes on a throttle tube. I have used these for two years now. I wouldnt use anything else now. Changing the grips is a breeze. they lock on with two little allen head screws. I have never had a problem with them turning, rain or shine. Just my two cents.

Pulled my stock grips last night. Wasn't as bad as the DRZ was but still a PITA

I only use Oury Street block style grips on every bike I have from my Duc to my Mtn bikes. I just wish that they made lock-ons like the Mtn. bikes or the ODI's.

Cool, I have to say the 1st ride was a little scary with the new throttle. Its so ridiculously smooth that it feels like it will whiskey throttle on ya over every bump. Not so, its very easy to control and definitely helps with armpump.

ok.. so im putting cycra handgaurds on, put them on tonight w/the stock throttle tube.. total P.O.S. if you ask me.. what do you do about the end? do these aftermarket tubes have a hallow end or closed end cap, ? and also should i just hack the new throttle tube off @ the end of the handlebar so the handgaurd doesnt hang up on the throttle tube?

i just hacked the throttle tube on my old bike, never had anyproblems.

Got tired of the stock, hard compound grips and swapped them out for a fresh set of Kevlars. The stock throttle grip was a BITCH :applause: . Took me over 30min to get it 95% of it off :applause: . Some traces were still left over. Sad thing, I don't think it even had any grip glue, just wire. Clutch side was a piece of cake, glue, but no wire :ride: . It was a pain getting the new ones on too. I think I made the mistake of putting glue on the throttle side where as stock didnt have it :applause: , and just wire on the clutch side. In any case, the new grips are on, they feel awesome :thumbsup: , and I hope the outlast the bike so I dont have to fight them to get them off. If all else fails, I'll but a new throttle tube and bars, lol. :applause:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=24526

Don't worry man.... if you do have to put on new grips they will be easier. They will be easier because the grips you put on are not molded to the stock throttle tube like the original ones were.

I used a rasp that is used to shape bondo before it hardens completely. In less then 5 minutes I had removed all of the grip material from the throttle tube and was ready to put the new grips on.

This type of rasp is sold at Auto Zone or I would think any other auto parts store by the auto body filler. If you are going to try and use the stock throttle tube this is the way to go. As a helpful hint, once the throttle tube starts to become shiny, you have remove all of the old material from that area. :thumbsup: