Sign in to follow this  

can a te replace a drzs 400 and crf 450

Socal rider, using the drz for a short daily commute and dual sport rides with up wards of 100 miles on pavement. My Honda mostly sits until desert season. I"ve read some posts about overheating , transmission ratio's to low for extended pavement , and brittle plastic. Is the 510's trans. ratio wider than the 450? any chance the seat is comfortable?

Socal rider, using the drz for a short daily commute and dual sport rides with up wards of 100 miles on pavement. My Honda mostly sits until desert season. I"ve read some posts about overheating , transmission ratio's to low for extended pavement , and brittle plastic. Is the 510's trans. ratio wider than the 450? any chance the seat is comfortable?

The TE won't do well on rides with lots of pavement or prolonged cruising at highway speeds. It is more like your crf450 in a street legal package. Amazing dirt performance. I have not seen any trend in reports of TEs overheating. I've taken mine places where all my other bikes boiled over and it had no trouble.

R

I ride a street bike a 150+ miles a day. Even a liquid cooled street bike can start to over heat in slow traffic on a hot day. The trick is to keep air flow moving over the rads at all times. In California, we are allowed to split lanes. I try to keep my bike moving at all times. I do this both for safty reasons and to keep air flow going over the rads. Off-road bikes that have been dual sported or converted to motard, et cetera are still off-road bikes at heart. They are not meant to be going very slow for long periods of time in stop and go traffic on hot days especially, if they are high performance off-road bikes. A DRZS, DR650, or KLR are your better bets for that kind of driving. A true race bike that is plated for the street such as a Husky is a comprimise bike. Yes, it is street legal but it is not a street bike! You can use it for short stints but that is about it. A KTM EXC will do a little better with its wide ratio six speed tranny but only if you keep it moving. Again, it was not designed for street use. The Honda 450X will definately have problems if used for extended periods of time on the road.

I hope this helps a little in your decision making process.

:thumbsup:

Paul

I agree with what the others have said - TE is not a road bike.

Regarding ratios:

2.65 DRZ400E or S

2.46 TE250/450/510

1.8 CRF450R

2.23 CRF450X

Top/bottom gearing of the TE is quite similar to the DRZ400 it seems.

For the record KLRs, TE610, and even the crf230 have much wider gear ratios.

Seats can be re-done if you want.

If you are happy putting the road miles on a very reliable low maintenance bike and saving you dirt bike for off road I would keep it. If you want green sticker and connect trails that would be different.

My observations having both a 2000 DRZ-400E and an '06 TE510:

On the street the TE is a little buzzier than the DRZ as it naturally has a little higher vibe level. In terms of top speed, my DRZ is geared from the factory to do about 82 MPH into the rev limiter. For kicks, I zipped the TE up to about 85 the other day, which it did pretty easily and was still pulling hard, but I shut down before I hit any rev limiter. I wasn't watching the tach closely but I think it was around 8500 or 8700.

The TE revs higher than the DRZ as near as I can tell - the DRZ has no tach, so it seems to be making for the gearing with a higher rev capacity.

The DRZ gets WAY better fuel economy than the TE510, but that may be due to the jet kit with a 182 main in the TE, though I should note that the DRZ has been rejetted too (size unknown).

All in all, I'm way happier with the TE510 than the DRZ for the riding I do.

The 610 is more suited for what you are describing. I ride my SM610 60+ miles round trip to work. Did about a 120 last sunday and it is quite at home running along 70mph with minimal vibes. The seat, well is a Dirt Bike seat, mine is going to Renzaco soon for a re-build. TE610 would be similar, just not the SM wheels and brakes......

Thanks for all the replies. I might have been confusing about the drz . round trip comute 5.8 miles , connecting trails in San Diego can mean some streches of pavement , I'm wondering if riders would rate the TE's better at the track or desert/offroad .

Thanks for all the replies. I might have been confusing about the drz . round trip comute 5.8 miles , connecting trails in San Diego can mean some streches of pavement , I'm wondering if riders would rate the TE's better at the track or desert/offroad .

in that case, get a 06/07 Street legal TE-510. gear it a bit taller with a 15t counter sprocket and sell both the DRZ dog sled and the honda MXer.

Ride the Wolf. :thumbsup: