Sign in to follow this  

Help, I think I just blew my motor

I just purchased a 2000 XR250 with 280 kit and white brothers exhaust two days ago I took it out for a ride for the first time tonight and I think I blew the motor. After having to dial in the pilot screw the bike was running good for about fifteen minutes or so, though it was still a little hard to start. I opened it up on a straight away and it kept sputtering every time I tried to wind it up through each gear. All of a sudden it started shooting out blue smoke from the exhaust and died like it ran out of gas. I then noticed oil dripping from the air filter box drain. The filter was soaked with oil and the inlet to the carb was saturated as well. I still can't figure out how oil would come out through the carb and not the exhaust. Please give me your ideas on what happened. Do I have a blown motor? If so how did oil get forced out the carb? I haven't tried to start it again. I figure I will just have to tear it down and rebuild.

does it still turn over? smoothely?

obviously something is wrong, so you should start by taking the subframe tank ect off. then find the source of the oil.

be sure to keep posting on here, keeping us updated untill you have resolved the problem, i hate it when threads end like: "ok, i'll try that"

How low was the motor oil when you checked it for the first time?

Yes engine will turn over smoothly. It never locked up just shot out blew smoke, sputtered, then died like if running out of gas.

Ok, I don't think the motor is blown. On a hunch I went out and looked over the crankcase ventalation and discovered that is where the oil came from. It was pushed out the crankcase vent which leads to the airfilter box, dumping oil directly into the carbarator and filter. The vent hose has a drain, I guess for condensation or something. Well I took the cap off and sure enough oil came out. Now what would cause oil to be pushed out the venatation hose? Malfunctioning oil pump? I really don't know much about this system with the oil in the frame and the dipstick up by the handlebars. I thought that you couldn't overfill these bikes because of the reservoir in the frame.

Almost the same thing happened to me because the engine was overfilled with oil on an xr600. If you check the oil and the bike hasnt been running right before, the dipstick will give you an inaccurate reading and show to add oil. So run the eninge before checking the oil to get an accurate reading.

I will drain the excess oil, and clean up the bike when I get home tonight and see what happens.

Too much oil. Pull both drain bolts, drain and refill with 2 qts of oil. Check the oil after ten minutes of riding, otherwise, you will get a false reading.

Thanks for the help. I drained the excess oil and cleaned the air filter and she started right up and ran good except for a little smoke for a few minutes. Now I need help with my 400. I will post a new thread.

From reading your discription the first thing that came to mind was an overfilled crankcase(aka too much oil). It happened to me once, It blew oil out the crankcase vent scared the FSCK(keke) out of me.