Sign in to follow this  

Do I need a new tire or do I have the wrong technique?

I have been having problems with sweepers. No matter how lightly I touch the throttle it seems that the rear end always wants to step out on me. I have tried both sitting and standing. Any ideas?

maybe your hitting the rear brake and breaking traction? maybe its your rebound on your rear shock :thumbsup:

You dont need to worry about your back tire breaking loose on a sweeper, its supposed too. As long as you are in the proper positon on the bike, your back end should be breaking loose. Stay up towards the tank on your bike. split the crack on the edge of the seat. weight the outside foot peg as well. If your in the proper positon the back end will just follow the front of your bike.

on a sweeper your normally standing and u do let the back end out just dont let it get out of control. this will sound different from what u normally hear but u actually weight the inside peg while standing up on a sweeper.

hope this helps :thumbsup:

Check your tire pressure. I got a new tire and went right out without checking it, was all over the place. Found out there was 40lbs of air in there. Just a thought.

Check your tire pressure. I got a new tire and went right out without checking it, was all over the place. Found out there was 40lbs of air in there. Just a thought.

Completely agree. 3 new bikes in the last year. Not going to say how much air was in the tires - you would not believe me.

10-12 psi in the tires, but more than likely it's technique. On sweepers you need to be sitting on the outside edge of the seat up near the tank. Really weight the outside peg while pushing your outside knee hard against the radiator shroud. Keep your outside elbow up and stay fairly loose in your upper body and let it drift. Don't fight it too much or you could end up high-siding. One other thing, when you really get used to leaning the bike over and getting the bike in a two wheel drift, the bars will actually be turned toward the outside of the turn (ie. left hand sweeper, bars will be slightly turned to the right).

The Baron is talking about 'counter steer'. It is an advanced technique but very effective. If you realize that your rear end is turning faster than the front end...........turn the handlebars in the opposite direction but do not chop the throttle! Stay focused and weight the outside peg heavily.......even exaggerated but ride on. :thumbsup:

The Baron is talking about 'counter steer'. It is an advanced technique but very effective. If you realize that your rear end is turning faster than the front end...........turn the handlebars in the opposite direction but do not chop the throttle! Stay focused and weight the outside peg heavily.......even exaggerated but ride on. :ride:

:thumbsup:

would the back end ever go flying all the way round or will it only go so fare before it strates itself up. thanx carl .

would the back end ever go flying all the way round or will it only go so fare before it strates itself up. thanx carl .

If it slides out fast and never grabs traction it can do a 180, but if it comes around and then grabs traction you'll have a very nice high-side on your hands.

If it slides out fast and never grabs traction it can do a 180, but if it comes around and then grabs traction you'll have a very nice high-side on your hands.

high sides are fun stuff lol . Especially when someone is right next too you and you get thrown into there bike. :thumbsup:

IF the back end ever comes around enough to do a 180................you messed up and should invest in a lesson or two.

People are too quick to make the bike faster when it is the rider that needs to learn how to go faster. I teach technique and not hop up! Technique will make you faster and hop up will leave you w/ a bike you hate!!!!! :thumbsup:

IF the back end ever comes around enough to do a 180................you messed up and should invest in a lesson or two.

People are too quick to make the bike faster when it is the rider that needs to learn how to go faster. I teach technique and not hop up! Technique will make you faster and hop up will leave you w/ a bike you hate!!!!! :thumbsup:

I'm sorry to admit it but I managed to do a 180 on Tuesday. It was my first digger on the new bike. The track was dry and very dusty, plus it was at night with the lights on so visibility sucked. I came around a little left hand sweeper and was trying to hug the soft stuff on the outside even though the inside was the good line. I guess I didn't get the tires where I meant for them to be. I was on the gas really hard in third and thought I had plenty of traction when the rear end came around in an instant. :ride: I obviously wasn't following my own advice. I tend to ride really loose and this was a good example of bad technique. I was flowing so good that I got overly comfortable and wasn't concentrating on what I was doing. Had I kept my outside leg in against the bike the 180 wouldn't have happened.

Baron...........we all make mistakes but few will admit to them. :thumbsup:

I'm sorry to admit it but I managed to do a 180 on Tuesday. It was my first digger on the new bike. The track was dry and very dusty, plus it was at night with the lights on so visibility sucked. I came around a little left hand sweeper and was trying to hug the soft stuff on the outside even though the inside was the good line. I guess I didn't get the tires where I meant for them to be. I was on the gas really hard in third and thought I had plenty of traction when the rear end came around in an instant. :thumbsup: I obviously wasn't following my own advice. I tend to ride really loose and this was a good example of bad technique. I was flowing so good that I got overly comfortable and wasn't concentrating on what I was doing. Had I kept my outside leg in against the bike the 180 wouldn't have happened.

just blame the track. lol damn ET! jk Et is good now. im gonna be there sunday. so r u takin me to school or what?

put pressure on your outside foot peg if your doing a long left hand sweeper put lots of pressure on your right foot peg