Sign in to follow this  

TT-R250 Tips..easy/cheap mods?

My son started riding this year and has got to the point that I'm willing to start tweaking his bike for better performance. I'm not planning on spending a bunch of $$$ but can anybody offer advice or tips to get the most out of this bike?

Performance gains are most easily handled by mods to the airbox/cleaner, carb, and pipe.

These two are free.

1. If it has not been done already, look under the tank at your throttle linkage and you will notice that Yamaha installs a stop screw that limits the rider to less than full throttle. Adjust the screw to allow full travel of the throttle linkage or take the screw out.

2. Next, remove the screw at the end of the exhaust and pull out the baffle. This will allow your bike to breathe a little better.

The next will cost you about $35.

1. Replace the stock filter with an aftermarket filter like Uni or Twin Air.

2. Pull the rubber snorkel out of the top of the airbox.

3. Rejet the bike.

Performance gains will be obvious. The thing you will notice most is that the engine will accelerate quicker.

The next will cost you about $300.

1. Replace the stock bazooka silencer with an aftermarket silencer. This not only adds power and sounds a lot cooler, but the weight difference is significant.

My 2004:

Snorkel out, Uni Filter, Rejetted (52.5 pilot, 140 main), ProCircuit T4 pipe. I got most of my stuff from Thumpertalk store. When I did mine, I did the free first, then added the pipe, then added the filter. Finally I pulled the snorkel and rejetted. All were noticeable improvements.

See this thread as well:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339411&highlight=250

Performance gains are most easily handled by mods to the airbox/cleaner, carb, and pipe.

These two are free.

1. If it has not been done already, look under the tank at your throttle linkage and you will notice that Yamaha installs a stop screw that limits the rider to less than full throttle. Adjust the screw to allow full travel of the throttle linkage or take the screw out.

2. Next, remove the screw at the end of the exhaust and pull out the baffle. This will allow your bike to breathe a little better.

The next will cost you about $35.

1. Replace the stock filter with an aftermarket filter like Uni or Twin Air.

2. Pull the rubber snorkel out of the top of the airbox.

3. Rejet the bike.

Performance gains will be obvious. The thing you will notice most is that the engine will accelerate quicker.

The next will cost you about $300.

1. Replace the stock bazooka silencer with an aftermarket silencer. This not only adds power and sounds a lot cooler, but the weight difference is significant.

My 2004:

Snorkel out, Uni Filter, Rejetted (52.5 pilot, 140 main), ProCircuit T4 pipe. I got most of my stuff from Thumpertalk store. When I did mine, I did the free first, then added the pipe, then added the filter. Finally I pulled the snorkel and rejetted. All were noticeable improvements.

See this thread as well:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339411&highlight=250

you stole everything i was going to say and post! the link he posted is a great one. i did all the research with the help of others around here and it should contain everything you need to get you son up and running

i hear that stickers improve horsepower.. actually what they posted above me is pretty much everything that will get you goin.. that was a very good compilation of mods..

If Washington has strict sound laws like CA, don't even mess with the T-4...go straight to the FMF Q

theres annothere free mod u can do that he dident mension take the seat off and cut a hole in the top of the air box it lets the bike breath better and u get more powr :thumbsup:

You're right, however, pulling the snorkel out is like cutting a hole in your airbox. The snorkel on the TTR250 is pretty restrictive, and removing it makes the engine breath better as does installing an aftermarket filter. Some people have recommended just trimming the snorkel (cut it back one rung at the top and two rungs in the air box itself).

In some threads they recommend pulling the snorkel and cutting holes in the airbox. There isn't a lot of room in the top of the box to do that, and I wouldn't put holes anywhere except the top. After pulling the snorkel and rejetting, I didn't find any need to add additional holes in mine, however, Guys at high altitude might want to consider it for the extra breathing. Just remember that you will need to rejet whenever you modify the air intake.

So does anyone know where the pilot and main jet can be bought for the bike? My local shop could not match them when I took them into them.

thanks

U can get them right here on thumpertalk :thumbsup:

actually your wrong....

you can get them throught the link that the second guy posted

or you can click here

about half way down when i start talking about installing and rejetting you will see two sites one is sac cycle and the other is whittier fun center!

i live in georgia and the trails i ride on have spark arrestor laws

so if u take out the spark arrestor on the bike how would you keep sparks from coming out?

I was thinking of just putting a little metal sreen between the end piece of the exaust and where the end of the pipe starts. Would that work?

i would just leave it in... why pay for something stupid you are not going to notice a differance and if you do it will so small that it wont be worth it.